How long do you keep your lights?

*Bryan*

Enlightened
I am a person that gets bored easily. I am always in search of the holy grail EDC (which I will never find). I buy lights and then sell them to fund more purchasers. I think the longest I have ever held onto a light is 2 months. Correction, I think the L4 might be the longest light I have ever owned. Close to the 2 month marker and not forseen to be on the market any time soon.

what about you?

In the last year, I have had 3 U2's, 3 Gladius', 2 A2's, 3 E2e's, 2 E2d's, 2 M6's, 3 PM6 3watts, 1 PM6 led, 1 C2, 1 C3, 1 Z2, 1 Strion, 2 U60's,
1 McGizmo PD, 2 L4's and there is more. I can't remember them all.

In the end I have 2 L4's, 1 U2, 1 PM6.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights I get buyer's remorse and want to sell them off quick. There are others that I might have sold, but after hanging on to them a while, I began to appreciate them more. SF A2 is one of them. :)

Blazer

Enlightened
I still have every light I've ever purchased except one (Pelican M6 Lithium) of which I had two anyway so I still have one.

I don't want to buy something that I won't have in the future so I make sure I want it before I buy it, then I get attached to it and don't want to sell it ever.

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
Sell....my lights??

does not compute!

i tend to research before i buy, so i haven't been stuck with bad lights, heck, i even had a reason for buying that cheap .99¢ yellow Dorcy 2AA craplight from Sears....

1; i wanted to try the Sears Worklight Lux bulb in it just for kicks (it worked, but had crappy performance due to being underdriven)
2; i wanted a cheap light to practice sputtering on, if i ruin it, no biggie

*Bryan*

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I, too, do the research, but I find that I will some how dream up a use for a light if I want to try it out.. :laughing:

Some I sell for different reasons also. I don't sell them because I dislike them, just because I have gotten a new idea. For instance, I was a die hard incan man, now I love LED's..

I am in a different phase now. Oh, and I don't get attached to anything. Just as quick as it came in the door, it can go out.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like some of you I research first and often wait 6 - 12 months after first reading about a new light before buying. I don't buy lights that I don't think I'll use. As techonlogy marches on I'll probably give more away but mine are, for the most part, keepers.

shadowman

Newly Enlightened
I keep the majority of the lights I purchase but I have given a few away to friends that I didn't like for one reason or another.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep most of the lights I have purchased, as well. I do give a few away, on occasion (not the good ones!:naughty:).

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Mag Prime is now 20 years old. Mostly I keep them until I lose them. Or my nimble fingered friends "borrow" them ;)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've sold a very-few, given others away for various reasons, but on the whole I tend to hang on to my lights. I've had my MagCharger for ...ummm, okay let's just say a long time.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I keep all of mine. Probably 95% are the under $40 variety, so it's just not worth the trouble to sell (don't want to, anyway), and might be tough finding buyers. My wife will verify that I still have nearly every gadget and gizmo I ever bought.

Geoff

tron3

Banned
I has small collection of various Radio Shack plastic lights that were about 18-20 years old. They had some give away that I always went in to get the flashlight.
Gave them to my father to bring to Florida for the old biddies. Had a few unusual and nice ones.

I have my Airforce basic training 2 D-CELL wand flashlight I keep around for memories. The only other plastic light I bought is my 1 million CP light. Only bought that because it was on sale for 10 bucks.

I essentially shun plastic flashlights at this point. If I need a light that can get beat up, I'll grab my old 3 D-cell Streamlight (like a mag). I'll keep my LED's a LONG time. Even when they come out with 7w and 10w Luxeons, my 3w, and 5w models are PLENTY of light.

Not to say I won't buy the new ones. :sssh:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to keep all of mine. With the exception of the one's that I give away to family and friends.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Bryan* said:
I am a person that gets bored easily. ..I think the longest I have ever held onto a light is 2 months.

I'm not as easily bored, but I am very curious about lights, knives, and other gadgets. The dilemma is that most of the lights discussed in CFP are not available locally so I cannot see or try them.

Despite the temptation, I usually avoid buying purely to satisfy my curiosity and instead wait until I'm fairly certain I will actually use the item. I've bought few lights compared with the average CFPer and haven't sold any.

I have bought lights as gifts for others to share the joy. :)