Keymate head falling off

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I have a SL keymate that's a couple of years old. The problem that i'm having is after i've unscrewed the light to turn it off the head is loose and when in my pocket will unscrew from the body. How can i stop this. thanks

dougmccoy

Enlightened
You could try plumbers tape which will do the job but will require replacement quite often or you could be a bit more radical and use a liquid thread locker and then break the bond which should leave you with a stiff bezel to turn to operate the Keymate. Of course you could always try Streamlights warranty? Good luck with the problem.

Doug

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the o-ring in place? If it is missing, the head will turn too easily and eventually back off.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hard to see how this could happen since there's still a lot of thread engaged when the light is off. Is the head turning in your pocket?
As Flash_Gordon suggested, try calling Streamlight since they have a "you break it, we replace it" warranty also if nothing else works.
I love my KeyMate, tho I've only had it for a couple of months. I'm thinking about modding it to be brighter.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
It was kind of funny. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and the batteries and head went flying in different directions. Streamlight sent me new o rings but dumb me i put it on where it should go but it doesn't stop the head from coming loose. maybe i'm putting it in the wrong spot.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked at my KeyMate and the o-ring is at the base of the threads. Don't know if there's any other obvious place it could go.
Try calling SL and see if they'll replace it.

carrot

Flashaholic
Maybe some viscous grease would do the trick.
My dad just bought one of these from a LEO shop. I was impressed with how bright it is for a tiny thing.