What will the next year bring us in lighting tools?

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just something I have been wondering about so i thought i would ramble out loud, on just a few thing's I have been thinking about, and hope other's will share too..

From my short 2 yr tenure as a flashaholic, i think the most likely possibility will be that thanks to a giant in the FL industry entering into the LED market will expand the very notion of what an LED can do. A very few understand,, (us!, well more then that) We all might not like the maker, but with it's titanic resources,
P%R machine, maybe evenmore TV spot's and lots of shelf and end isle displays will turn a disinterested public into much more willing consumer's since if Mag makes them now, they must be good! and worth the chance to try 'em.
Face it, there the biggest FL maker, million's trust them and consider them about the best.
With MAG-LED think what a seach engine quary will look like! bring up mag of course, but also SF, CPF (I found CPF trying to find info on some LED lights other then my cheapo button light's, I also may have had my first infinity ultra,,can't remember i digress)

what will that do? it will raise the puplic awareness that LED's are not just for little toss away button light's, but real cutting edge tecnology. Non FL-Ho's
don't see mcgizmo, HDS even SF hanging in target or wally world, o r would they even if production could ramp up to meet demand, as this quality has a price mag buyer's wouldn't go for immediately.

(it took my unkle showing a magchrager to my ex wife 15 yr's ago, in the nightime back yard for her to admit it was a different animal then a 2D mag and thus I got my first real light that christmas. My 2nd late wife loved it and I often went to get it to use, and find it gone)
I think therfore non FL ho's will start researching MAG-LED or other light's via the internet and when the word "LED" is typed in CPF is there right on the first page! with lot's of info to educate the 99% that don't know our dirty little secret. :naughty:

So one my prediction is the LED flashlight market really taking a leap in 2006
on the coatails of an unlikely host! :whistle:

Couple other thing's i see. I think the single brightness level lux powered
light's will get thinner and thinner. from post's i read, I see quote's like "that would great if it had dual or multi levels!" I do believe this will become std
on more and more LED light's.

I know Nothing about inner workings of most circuit driven lux's but i hope with the new influse of interest, thing's like the K2 and better binning available to all will get better so wild swings from green to purple will be much less and "white" get some closer to what we all like in tint.

I think the trend of super small Lux powered light's will continue,
I think there will need to be a catch up in optics/reflectors we all like what we like,, be it spot, flood, and tight or wide combinations of both.
The electronic's have been pretty steady, and batt tech is great with li ion's
in AAA, N and also non std sizes. But the beam is were i think we will need to make gain's. (somehow anyway I don't understand optics mor then a solitaire reflector)

I can't wait to get my endevour CR2 ion, but admit i would like more throw.
If I had it my way every every light i have would be the beam profile of my HDS B-60, just scaled to size of the small lux's :grin2:

So that's what i got on my mind for now see what's happen's! VDG

tron3

Banned
Paul_in_Maryland said:
From the teasers I've read, 2006 could be the year that regulated incandescents become mainstream.

Regulated incandescents? Not LED? Well, that should help people suck down the batteries even faster.

Remember, regulated typically doesn't mean sucking only half the juice to power the light. It usually means to suck MORE juice.

missionaryman

Enlightened
Regulated incans are a great thing if you ask me, it will be interesting to see what mods will come about and how people will package the extra battery needed.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
AdamW said:

I hope so! I want a 120 LN HDS ultimate! :naughty:

But really? will we see more technology in incan's? brighter lamp's?
I see a small trend in the rising use of incan's.

I wonder if some of our fav makers with know how like HDS and (maybe SF)
will develope small ARC/Peak size light's with two-three setting in a LUX1?

A K2 powered mini U2? thing's along those lines.

A more mainstream manufactor devoloping a light much like Mcgizmo with easly swappable power, emmiters and reflector's?

better 5mm's with 100 or more ma rating?

Higher tech rechargeables in cradles from ARC size to 2-3 cell lights?

Anyone else gotta dream? VDG

tron3

Banned
In any case, I'd like to see a minimum of a 7W Luxeon. A TRUE 7w. Not a pumped up version of a 5w magnified to look like 7. I don't care if it uses 4 CR123's, "I want full power, Mr. Scott."

Bright is nice, but 7W would suck down batteries like a fat family eating meat balls at the buffet. So, it must have at least 3 brightness levels.