Can I Borrow Your Penlight?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was in EMT (emergency medical technician) class tonight. We were practicing patient exams. One of the other guys was checking the patient's head, and came to the part where you check the pupils' reaction to light. He saw that I had my "penlight" sticking in my shirt pocket and asked to borrow it.

"Sure," I said, "It's very bright."

"Uh Huh. Thanks."

Hehehe -- SureFire L4.

KABAM! Pupils react to light. . .

It was a good flashaholic moment. I love those. :)

Scott

Weep

Newly Enlightened
Heh, I can imagine.

Think about the poor practice patient though... :duck:

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
After the pupil reaction test was done, the guy running the station indicated that one pupil was blown, to be consistent with a head injury.

"Blown pupil -- no kidding. Try two blown pupils." Was the response. :)

Scott

MGLloyd

Newly Enlightened
Some day I should tell the story of back in paramedic class in the early 1980's, when one of my classmates was horsing around with the Lifepak4, and managed to give himself a 360 joule shock.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
It was a good flashaholic moment. I love those. :)
The only problem is the good ones like yours happen all too seldom. Thanks for sharing it. I'm still
rollin.gif

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH MY GOSH! That is CRAZY. That cracks me up. I feel sorry for the victim. :)
Can he still see? What was his reaction?

-David

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Heh heh... we picked up a guy who was BS'ing us about being unresponsive, so I had an EMT intern use my Inova XO3 to do a pupil check before trying the sternal rub (he didn't know the guy was faking unconsciousness). His response?

Hey, I think this guy OD'd on opiates or something!"

He started moving around right after that... we still took him in though, can't write "Pt faking it" on the chart and kick him out...

Weep

Newly Enlightened
Inferno said:
we still took him in though, can't write "Pt faking it" on the chart and kick him out...
:laughing: I can understand why not...but that's still a hilarious thought...

"Pt faking it" :ohgeez:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
What is it with the hand thing.. if you drop their hand on their face, and they aren't totally out, they will never hit themselfs square in the nose?

Story from the grape vine.. someone had a patient who would fake seizures. so they wrote " pt laying supine on ground, patient's actions mimic siezure activity"

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
coldsolderjoint said:
What is it with the hand thing.. if you drop their hand on their face, and they aren't totally out, they will never hit themselfs square in the nose?

Story from the grape vine.. someone had a patient who would fake seizures. so they wrote " pt laying supine on ground, patient's actions mimic siezure activity"

Works like a charm but is discouraged around here because it is "cruel".
Personally I disagree.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
coldsolderjoint said:

I've done that. The job in prehospitol care is to gather accurate information for the MDs, right?

pt unresponsive to verbal -- respirations shallow, >40 per min, snoring, L arm shaking -- pt abrubtly stopped rapid snoring respirations, began praying in clear loud voice for relief from effects of head injury secondary to sex abuse 20 yrs ago; resp ~10 per min, motor control returned L arm -- pt incontinent (urine) . . .

Gotta watch yourself on the nut jobs. If you don't make it clear what is going on, it can bite you later.

Scott