experience with this 3W $12 light

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a few of them. I've had trouble with bad connections. Shake it and it goes out. It seems like a fair weather light. Some have had good luck with them. Others have had misery. The beam on mine is ok, its just the light that had issues. I'd spend a few more dollars for a better light imho.

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good, but the thing with me is, those special batteries are a big turn down for me. I'd like a flashlight that runs off a standard AA/AAA or can be recharged. Like when i'm backstage doing technical work, i can grab a duracell and im on the go.

Buying those 123 cells online seems like a real expensive hassle for me.

Robban

Enlightened
Xzn said:
Sounds good, but the thing with me is, those special batteries are a big turn down for me. I'd like a flashlight that runs off a standard AA/AAA or can be recharged. Like when i'm backstage doing technical work, i can grab a duracell and im on the go.

The "LIR123" that glire mentioned is just that, a rechargeable battery. No more excuses :D

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
my 1w mxdl is still running great, but if they had put a 3w in it to begin with it would have helped, cause its very blue now, from hard driving it with li-ion.

if you get one, clean the threads, then lube them, clean any switch you can get to, replace the led, and change the battery . . . other than that, they are great :)
heck for 12$ where you gonna get it for less?
course is shipping another 12?

Gab

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pointing that site out, I have one , bought it in ebay(cost me more ), mine is a donut(luxeon lottery) ,but for the price I am contented, am using it as an EDC now, but too big for my purse. It will be replaced by a Fenix 1LP soon , awaiting arrival .

I need one more though .. so thanks -didn't know that site existed

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
You could buy worse for $12 at somepalce like Wal-Mart. I have one of these lights and it is what I keep on my nightstand. It is not a bad light for the money and I've had no issues with it for the month or so that I've had it.

glire

Enlightened
Xzn said:

I think I should have show you this instead ;)
LIR123 means Lithium Ion Rechargeable in the CR123 format.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
So if MXDL lights are questionable, who makes the other lights on qualitychinagoods.com (the "Regulated" 3W lights)? Some of them look interesting...wondering if they're hit or miss also.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest problem I find with the 3 AAA battery flashlights is the battery carries. There are too many points of mechanical contact and they tend to become unreliable over time.