West Virginia coal miners trapped...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
there dead but 1 im so sad

now on cnn they say there dead but 1 man im bummed the miners i mean

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm sure many of you have heard about the tragedy in West Virginia. A group of 13 coal miners were trapped in an explosion/cave in.

1 miner was found relatively early (deceased).

Approximately 40 hours after the explosion, it was announced they had found the other 12 miners alive.

So sad to say it now appears after the families had gathered to celebrate and give thanks, that only 1 has made it out alive. He is in critical condition at this time, unconscious and has been transported to a level 1 care facility after having been stabilized at a local care facility.

Prayers to all involved...

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
My deepest condolences, still have cousins who work in them mines there and it's a reminder to us all that so many Americans work under danger everyday to support their families, and we all owe them a big hug and a lot fo appreciation.

Nick

jtice

Flashaholic
Its been a pretty messy situation down here :(

Our hopes were not all that high for them,
they were there too long, and the air was simply not breathable.

The worst part if the "miscommunication" that they were all alive.
3 hours later, after the families had celebrated at the nearby church,
they get word they are all dead but one young man. :shakehead:

Whats worse, is now all you will hear is a bunch of finger pointing and blaming.

Dont count on hearing much more on what heppened,
or how/when they died.
Its going to be next to impossible to tell how long they lasted.

The one young man is at a local hospital here,
I beleave he is in critical condition.

~John

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Good article on the 1907 Monongah mining disaster, we've come a long way. Unfortunately to get "here" from "there" has cost a lot of lives and the "rules/regs are of course written in blood".

Once again, hopefully these men will not have passed in vain! It's been said that the explosion happened in a sealed portion of the mine that had no activity taking place. Perhaps it was a cave in or lightning and couldn't have been prevented, perhaps better means of rescue/miner location/survival procedures could have been used. Hopefully we will learn.

Bottom line, incident command, communication, and coordination needs constant refinement. The tragic "roller coaster" these families, friends, and people of the world were submitted to because of a communication error will hopefully NEVER happen again.

Having been involved in a few plane crashes, train derailments, and hazardous material incidents...it's a tough job. An awful lot happening by an awful lot of people - indeed a hard job!

Again, it's sooooo unfortunate that this happened - again, prayers to all involved!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Coal miners in W. VA.

All but one of those trapped coal miners was killed.

What I don't quite get is this - how can it be that we can build a robot that can collect rocks on #!$ MARS but we can't create a mining robot here?

:mad:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Coal miners in W. VA.

PhotonWrangler said:
What I don't quite get is this - how can it be that we can build a robot that can collect rocks on #!$ MARS but we can't create a mining robot here?
Mars robot cost 10's (100's?) of millions to build one of, and takes a crew of expensive scientists watching it 24/7 to operate.

If you mandated - say - a $1 million payout for each miner killed on the job, you'd get a lot fewer mine accidents, a lot of mines closed, maybe a few robots, and I expect much more expensive coal.

As it is... :shrug: