Why do my Surefires and Inovas smell like oranges?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not quite like oranges...maybe rotten oranges. Or something citrusy. Strange in any case.

:wtf:

quokked

Enlightened
:huh: They smell like oranges? I just had a quick sniff of my A2 and there's nothing there, it could be a few things actually, I think the most likely thing that you are smelling is the smell from the CR123's batteries, try opening the lights and having a sniff of the batteries inside. :)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My boxes of Surefire batteries only smell like cardboard. My Inovas smelled the same, and they came with Duracells.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the smell from the batteries, we refer to it as "flashahol" around here! :) :buddies: :drunk:

tron3

Banned
Planterz said:
Not quite like oranges...maybe rotten oranges. Or something citrusy. Strange in any case.

:wtf:

Maybe the new batteries run off citris. :p

Seriously, perhaps they use a type of citris as a mild acid during the manufacture process. Concentrated, it can be pretty potent, but not damaging to the environment.

Look at vinegar, it is only sold at 5% acidity.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Oranges? This is an insulting description for flashahol ! :mad: :nana: :wave:

It is the smell from lithium batteries that have been used and abused. It is addictive.

Some long while ago a member suggested that a major perfume company might consider making those:

- Eau de Tactical Light
- Love Potion 123

Unfortunately it never happened : green:

bernie

Blazer

Enlightened
Kershaw said:
I have noticed that to, i think it might be the thread lube that they use.

I've also noticed the smell and tried a little experiment to isolate it, took apart a Surefire 6P, no batteries and smelled each part, mmmmmmmmm flashlight smell, but it had no smell, the batteries (SF CR123As) on the other hand do have a definite smell, mmmmmmmm battery smell. :help:

My daughter opened a small bottle of nail polish in the car the other day and I had to pull over and check all my lights before I realized she had opened the bottle. I thought some batteries were leaking out of a sealed flashlight and there was a possibility of rapid venting.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, just 'cause I'm an old fart, I'll recommend a check of the "a little accident" thread and maybe a search on the topic of the care and feeding of 123 batteries just for safety's sake.

On the other hand, I think mine smell more like either tangerines or clementines. I just can't decide.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the smell come from old lube?

I bought some very old CMG Infinities from BS some time ago that were new and still in the tins. They were old enough to have the 'black gob' electrical contact. It was a great deal.

Anyway, every one of them smelled quite a bit like CrackerJacks. I usually clean and re-lube most of the lights I buy right away and getting the old lube off those old Infinities was not unlike trying to remove old, hardened cosmoline from long stored guns.

Long story short -- once the old lube was gone, so was the sweet smell.

Chris201W

Enlightened
I doubt it's the batteries. I smelled the body of my X5 and smelled the citrus scent, then I opened it and smelled the batteries still in the light and it smelled like something different, not really citrusy. The thread lubrication had the same smell. I recognize it, just can't think what the name of it is. Sort of like the hospital smell, ya know?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
:lolsign: What a bunch of freaks. CPF members will talk about anything regarding flashlights no matter how "off the beaten path" it may seem.

Haven't you heard of the new Scratch-n-Sniff Models? LOL

onthebeam

Enlightened
Thanks for these great suggestions I'd never have thought of. I just put a box of lithiums in my industrial Hamilton Beach juicer. What a way to start the day, and full of ruffage, too! LOL!