Finding the right mod for my 2D Mag

RebelRAM

Enlightened
I have been going through old posts, sticky threads and so on and the number of mods out there is just amazing. But at the same time, there are so many, it's very confusing as to how to find the right one.

So hopefully you guys can help me figure out which mod I'm looking for.

I have a 2D Mag that is just begging to be modded. I have already done the drop in LEDs for my other Mags and I was very pleased with that in the performance department. But now I want something that is a real thrower and has 250 to 400 lumens if possible. I don't really have a budget, but I want to keep it reasonable enough so that the mod doesn't cost more than me actually going out and buying a high end SF that would get the same amount of performance.

So my first question is, what platform should I look at? LED, HID, or Incan?
It appears from most of the mods I have read about, that going with AA NiMHs is the way to go. I'm open to that, C cells, 123s, or whatever.

I do want to smooth out the beam, so I am guessing a LOP or MOP will be needed, along with a glass lens or some sort to deal with the heat.

So where do I need to start? I think basically what I am looking for is mod instructions and a parts list.

Thanks!

missionaryman

Enlightened
RebelRAM - Ihave been looking at the same thing myself recently and to get into those lumens fairly easily you need to go 6 x AA NiMH & a WA 1111(677lumen) or 1274(425Lumen) or if you are electronically apt you can create a regulator circuit to regulate the voltage at 6.0v and run an 1160 for 475 lumens without dimming.

you need a battery holder either an FM or plastic, bi pin adapter - KIU or FM, reflector & lens - should work out to less than $100.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
My only 'real' hotwire is in a 2D host. I can either overdrive the 1274 bulb using 7 cells or drive the 1185 bulb at spec on 8 cells. They are both unbelievably bright. Both over 800 lumens at the bulb... The 1274 is brighter, and certainly whiter but I prefer the 1185 using the cells 8 at a time and honestly, it looks just as bright, just slightly more yellow. And bulb lifetime is longer with the 1185 at spec than the 1274 overdriven.

wtraymond

Enlightened
Will the 8AA adaptor with CBP1650s will fit in the 2D Mag without boring the body?

You can get 6AA adaptor in the 2D and run a Pelican 3854 bulb for about 1000 lumens with the HOLA or about 400 with the LOLA. The Pelican bulb is potted so you don't need a bi-pin socket. It just installs like a regular maglite bulb. You will need a metal reflector and a UCL or borofloat lens.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about 600 lumens ?
A pewter 2c cell Maglite.
2 strong 18650 lithium ion batteries inside it. (cr123 primaries work too.)
Ultraclear glass lense.
4 WX1S binned Luxeon5 150-190 lumen leds.
4 so20 minireflectors.
A Georges80 D2Dim driver board (which is a grown up version of a lioncub's circuit but functionally the same.)

or a drop in paultry 350 lumens

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
wtraymond said:
Will the 8AA adaptor with CBP1650s will fit in the 2D Mag without boring the body?

Sorry thay will not fit with out boring the body :(

Later
Kelly

RebelRAM

Enlightened
A ROP mod is starting to sound more like what I am looking for. Since NiMHs are involved I'm not too concerned about runtimes, but just what are the runtimes looking like on 6AA with the HOLA and the LOLA? I mean the LOLA easily meets my requirements, but the 1000 Lumens with the HOLA, that just sounds like a lot of fun :) And are those bulb lumens or torch lumens?

Also are you guys buying the Pelican bulbs direct from Pelican or is there another vendor you guys recommend? I'd like to get a majority of the parts for this mod from the same vendor if possible.

Thanks!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightHound was stocking them in December and sold out. They expected them to be back in stock around the 28th.

I sent an email enquiry to them about several items including the 3854 bulb set and some UCL's on the 31st and didn't get a reply so I enquired a second time on the 4th and still no response from them.

I'm guessing John is taking a well earned vacation and will get to the LightHound inbox when he gets back.

I made a purchase early this week and got the usual shipping update from them so orders are still being filled, just no questions being fielded.

If you Google Pelican 3854 you will find other places that are selling the bulb set.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
NiMH chargers... will any charger do or am I going to need a specific one? I understand with the ROP mod, that 6AA 1650 Mah NiMHs is what produce the best results. Could I buy the 1650 NiMHs online somewhere and then charge them with a Energizer or Duracell NiMH charger? Would the performance be the same? I don't have to have a quick charger, I can wait several hours for recharging a set if needed.

Also what would happen if I used the 1700 Mah or 2500 Mah Energizer or Duracell NiMHs? Just degraded performance? Decreased runtime?

Varmint1

Newly Enlightened
Hi, long time lurker-first time poster. I too am looking at the ROP as my first mod. Is it really that easy? Will the Energizer 2500's work?

Will it be enough to "WOW!" me? For reference my brightest light is my Z3 with HOLA.