Bulbcollector.com down?

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd run this past folks here, see if anyone knows what's going on.

Kilokat's Antique Light Bulb Site Seems to have been down for the last couple of days. I'm tending to think that a site upgrade or something is to blame for this as the server's still there - I'm just getting a blank page there. Attempting to access sub-pages, including the forum, throws me up a Comcast page not found error.

Just wondering if anyone else here knows what might be going on with the site. Or is this just going to be a case of waiting to see if it comes back online again?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim took the server down to update its Linux distro according to a MB announcement posting I read (he runs the server himself nowadays), think it was monday morning I saw that. If it`s still down, I guess things are taking longer than anticipated/something went horribly wrong/etc. Hope it`s back soon alright though.

:eek:oo:

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, see, that's what I get for going on holiday, I go and miss important messages!

Thanks for the feedback.

PS: Nice show with the lights this year, really liked the colour scheme. Whole effect looks really, really professional.

This does present you with a bit of a problem though - we've all come to expect that from you now...how on earth are you going to one-up yourself next year?!?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks - glad you like the lights. I`m quite pleased with the way it turned out myself, the minimal colour scheme and all-LED design was a bit of an experiment to be honest, but it seems to have worked. No more filament lamps for me now!

(completely major edit ahead)

Next year....well if I`m still here and not met and fallen in love with someone and run away to start a new life elsewhere :p (goodness knows I don`t want to be single all my life) or at least just found my own place and be by my own next season (and house prices are so bad that even that looks unlikely) to be honest I`ll probably take a year off. If there`s anything, it`ll be a couple sets in the pine tree by the front door at the most. This isn`t my house and I`m starting to realise my family don`t really like the inevitable attention it brings, or the disruption and fuss inside. It`s all turned off now and I brought a whole lot in today, this following a stupid argument this morning. I`m ashamed of the fact that sometimes I will dissapear off in my own world and fail to notice much of anything that goes on around me, only to be brought back to reality with a bump.

But you know that video of the fantastic sequenced lights and TSO/Wizards In Winter soundrack that went three times around the internet recently? That originally inspired me to start planning something unique and elaborate for next season, always something new, always something better. But the guy who did that display shut it down in early December last year following a minor problem, because he didn`t want the increased traffic to cause any problems for his neighbors. So I think I`ll take inspiration from that part instead, as it`s really not worth falling out with anyone especially my family over something comparitively trivial like holiday lights.

And if by some incredible fortune, this year I finally meet a girl who loves all this stuff as much or even more than I do and find a new place together, well you just try and stop me/us with the RGB LEDs, color washes, Light-o-Rama controllers, special effects, music, the lot...

Last edited:

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like it`s back and working now, I guess the upgraded were not as smooth as originally anticipated. Looks like nothing was lost either which is good.

Reminds me of a recent ZoneAlarm update that went horribly wrong and almost broke my entire system. That took all evening to get it back to working again (and now I`m too scared to try and update it again just yet), so I can only imagine the potential problems if a whole OS/server/etc upgrade goes wrong....