What book(s) are you reading right now?

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
Right now, I'm working on Angels and Demons, the kinda prequel to The DaVinci Code.

I recently read The Davinci Code, DeepSix by McDevitt, The House by Bently Little, and a book called Ice Hunt, author I can't remember.

I like reading, and during the power outages last year, flashlights and books became my good friends.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I always have one going. At present it's Mercury by Ben Bova. He's a pretty good and prolific science fiction writer. Writes the believable type of sci-fi.

Geoff

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just finishing San Francisco Is Burning, by Dennis Smith, which is about the four day fire that followed the earthquake in 1906. Before that I read Crack In the Edge of the World, by Simon Winchester, which is more broadly about the same earthquake. These books take a somewhat fresh look at this disaster now that a century has past.

I became re-interested in disasters after my Katrina experience and wanted to read these books to see if there were similarities between the two events. There were many. The corruption and ineptitude of the city governments. The gross minimizing of fatalities. The systematic dissappearance of bodies with bullets in them. In both events the forced mandatory evacuations caused a great increase in property damage and greatly hindered both city's recovery.

They are both good reads but San Francisco Is Burning is more interesting from my point of view.

Safety1st

Enlightened
I'm reading two books..

My book for the 'jon'.....is THE WORLD ACCORDING TO CLARKSON, by Jeremy Clarkson...who for those who don't know him is a TV presenter in the UK who is car mad...

The night-time and porch reading book...is BODYGUARDS STORY by Trevor Rees-Jones...who was the bodyguard to Dodi Al Fayed....and was in the Mercedes when HRH Princess Diana died...

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am currently reading a book called I AM THAT: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta which is a book or transcribed and translated conversations with the Indian Guru who just recently died about 20 years ago. It is the philosophy of Non Duality and for me, a real mind expanding, thought provoking read. He has a way of putting life in perspective when talking or arguing with all the scholars who traveled from all over the world to speak with him.

It's a difficult book to get but the Amazon readers in the link above rate it 5-stars.

:)

Makarov

Enlightened
zespectre said:
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
my name is fake said:
btw, im reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman....
Great book! I also recommend American Gods by Gaiman, same universe. Actually, I recommend all books by Gaiman...
Favorite so far is "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Pratchett.

I've just started reading "Emperor, the gates of Rome" by Conn Iggulden, it's a series that I was recommended.

As Flying Turtle says, I always got a book going, guess I read a couple of books a month on average.

I recommend Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson for the CPF crowd BTW ;)

makar

Enlightened
Safety1st said:
I'm reading two books..

My book for the 'jon'.....is THE WORLD ACCORDING TO CLARKSON, by Jeremy Clarkson...who for those who don't know him is a TV presenter in the UK who is car mad...

How's this book? I love the show topgear (Jeremy Clarkson driving a car around a track):
Jeremy Clarkson said:
The last time I was so relaxed I think babyoil was involved.
:D

I really liked the book Jupiters Travels : Four Years Around the World on a Triumph by Ted Simon.

MArc

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makarov said:
Favorite so far is "Good Omens" by Gaiman and Pratchett.
I recommend anything by Terry Pratchett too!
Just finished re-reading the first Elric omnibus, Elric:Song of the Black Sword by Michael Moorcock. Now, again to the second, Elric: The Stealer of Souls.
Moorcock is my favorite author of all time.

Also for Gaiman fans, every see the movie Mirror Mask? It was done by The Jim Henson Company, meaning the famous Creature Shop. Wasn't animatronics, more like the puppets from Tool videos. Neat movie.

Malpaso

Enlightened
The Ambler Warning by Robert Ludlum (well, kind of, he died while writing it). It has been very dissapointing so far. It doesn't have the Ludlum feel to it, and you can tell someone messed with it. It's kind of like when Clancy stopped writing and let others use his Net Force name.

dfred

Enlightened
"Waiting for the Morning Train" by Bruce Catton -- Childhood memoir of famous US Civil War historian

and

"Big Splat, or How Our Moon Came to Be" by Dana Mackenzie -- History of the study of the origins of Earth's moon

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm reading "the Hero" by John Ringo and Michael Williamson. I just finished "A State of Disobedience" by Tom Kratman. It's about the 2nd American Revolution.

Thanks for the tip on Neil Gaiman. I'll give him a try.

Literator

Newly Enlightened
My son saw John Stossel from 20/20 speak at his college, and got me an autographed copy of his "Give Me a Break," that just came out in paperback. It fascinating reading, even if you don't agree with what he says. I would highly recommend it, and it's an easy read.

Two books that I've read in the past few months that I would VERY highly recommend are "The Kite Runner" and "The Time Traveller's Wife." I couldn't put either one down, and they among my all-time favorites.

--Bob

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I recently re-read all seven books in the Chronicles of Narnia series, by C.S. Lewis.

That prompted me to re-read his science fiction trilogy, "Out of the Silent Planet", "Perelandra", and "That Hideous Strength".

That prompted me to tackle some of his serious writing. Right now, I'm nearly done with "The Abolition of Man", and "Miracles" is on deck.

While digging through the attic for the Narnia books, I found a whole bunch of Harry Harrison's "Stainless Steel Rat" and Robert Heinlein books. Woo hoo!

Maybe if I read more, I'll stop looking at the Fenix L0P groupbuy thread...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I just finished the Da Vinci Code and now am reading Digital Fortress.

I am finding Dan Brown an interesting author...

Tom

magic79

Enlightened
I often get on "kicks" where I'll read a book on a subject, then have to read a bunch of others. Just finished a Mt. Everest kick (I also got on an author kick), which took about 2 months:

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakaur (excellent)
High Exposure by Jon Krakaur (pretty good)
Into the Wild by Jon Krakaur (very good)
Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everst by Beck Weathers (first half is good)
High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places by David Breashears (quite good if you can accommodate Breashears' ego)
The Climb by by Anatoli Boukreev (interesting and argumentative towards Into Thin Air)

Now I'm reading I Am Spock, Leonard Nimoy's autobiography.