Modding SL KeyMate w/ brighter LED?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been very tempted by the Jil Lite lately, but just can't afford it at this time. So, I've been looking at my Streamlight KeyMate for the past couple of days thinking about modding it with a brighter LED to make it brighter.
I've seen the ones for sale that use the SMJLED (anyone know the website for this LED?...I'd like to see the datasheet), but I was thinking more along the lines of using a Nichia Jupiter or Lumileds Lux1 for more brightness. The battery life will be shorter, but my fiance has another KeyMate I can probably gank:sssh: when I want longer life (or I might pick up a 0.5W 1AAA TM-310H).

I have a few questions before attempting this:

1. First off, is this a stupid idea? I'm new, so I don't really know what's been attempted, what's a good idea, and what's dumb.

2. The LR44 batteries only have about 120mah capacity. SR44s are 190mah. I plan to drive the Jupiter or Lux1 at about 350ma. Since there are 4 batteries in the KeyMate, does that mean the capacity is x4?...i.e. max drive current can be sustained for about 2hrs w/ SR44s?

3. I plan on adding a regulation circuit, but need to find a PCB that's <11.5mm in diameter. Anyone know where to get these?

4. I haven't attempted disassembly of the KeyMate head yet, but how does the stock 5mm assembly stay in there? How should I keep the new assembly in the head?

Thanks for the help.

J.

carrot

Flashaholic
Looking at the size of the Keymate, I'd be really surprised if you could do any major mods...
Maybe the AWR Nano (search the forums) pill can be modified a bit to work in the Keymate. It's a Luxeon designed to run off a single AAA in an Arc-AAA size body.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the KeyMate. I have a couple and have given several away so friends and family have a chance of having a decent light with them.

You have hit on it's major weakness-the batteries. A stack of alkaline coin cells is not the best choice for a flashlight IMO. That's the main reason it has been replaced on my keychain by a Photon Freedom.

The current of the batteries is not additive. You might get 150 mA out of that stack. I do not think the KeyMate is a good candidate for any major mods. Driving a 1W is out of the question.

It's a pretty decent light as built and I found them solid and reliable.

Mark

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the KeyMates also...I've bought 6+ of them now for myself and gifts. Damn, well, there goes that idea. I was hoping there'd be more juice available. I also found 2x 1/3N-cell batteries can replace the 4x LR44-cells, but I don't know if 1/3Ns are any better.

Does anyone happen to know what brand/type/model LED the KeyMate uses? Wondering if replacing the LED w/ another 5mm one (Nichia CS or SMJLED) would be worth it.
Thanks.

catch228

Newly Enlightened

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! Doesn't seem like Lambda's making the Luxeon versions anymore. I'll try to ask him for more info though.

The N-cell battery only has 150mah capacity. An SR44 has 190mah, so maybe using 4x SR44 button cells will be enough to drive a Lux1 or Jupiter pretty well since the original TurboMate w/ Lux1 ran off a 150mah N-cell.