All peers.. potential killer app for Firefox

cy

Flashaholic
All peers.. potential killer app for Firefox

"AllPeers is a simple, persistent buddy list in the browser. Initially, interaction with those buddies will be limited to discovering and sharing files - If you choose to, you can share any file on your network with one or more of your friends. They will be able to see what files you choose to share (even getting an RSS feed of new files you include), and with a single click download it to their own hard drive.

AllPeers will work even when the sharer is offline - AllPeers is a bittorent client, and will allow files to be pulled from multiple sources."

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/01/03/allpeers-is-the-firefox-killer-app/

cy

Flashaholic
think of all the folks you know and trust on cpf that you would be willing to share data with :D

jtice

Flashaholic
I havnt used it alot,
but its SIMPLE to setup,
and seems to work really well.
Will work as fast as your upload speeds can go.

It just makes your computer, and the other persons computer think they are on the same LAN,
so any folders you have set for network sharing, showup to the other person.

~John

cy

Flashaholic
I don't know those folks in Hamichi network...

whereas within cpf community, a lot of us have formed long term trust. a lot of folks on cpf already use firefox and it would not be too dificult to install firefire to be able to share files within our imediate peers.

using bit-torrent adds security to files we do elect to share. can't wait for this firefox extension to be released!

jtice

Flashaholic
You only connect to who you want to CY.
You are not connecting to an entire group etc.

Each computer has its own network name and pass, that you asign.
Then you tell your buddy to enter that network name and pass into Hamachi, and BAM, its connected your two computers.

I think it was originally created for LAN play of games, over the internet.

~John

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
ummm... what types of things could we transfer among fellow CPF'rs that would be worthwhile? Any ideas?

cy

Flashaholic
guess I should remain open minded about Hamchi. if a large number of folks from cpf should join Hamchi. effects would be simular.

I like the idea of using bit torrent's contributing bits of the entire file. VS direct file transfer.

if I understand correctly, bit torrent is not traceable.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ticey: where did you hear about Hamachi? I heard about it on the Security Now! podcast with Leo Laporte and Steve Gibson. Steve sure likes Hamachi. It sets up a VPN-type connection with whoever you want to on the internet. The security is excellent, with high-grade, properly-employed encryption being used for your connection. Hamachi requires next to no configuration, which makes it very easy to use compared to many other VPN solutions.

cy: I believe bit torrent is traceable in the sense that you can view the IPs of everybody who you are downloading from, and seeding to. I do not know about viewing the IPs of the people further above you or below you, but the layer next to you is definitely identifiable.

cy

Flashaholic
looks like humachi works pretty well if you know who to connect to.