new way to remove u2 plastic insert

turbodog

Flashaholic
Got my 3rd u2 in yesterday. This one has the plactic insert.

I found a new way to remove it.

1. Remove the clip retainer, clip, and o-ring from the body tube.
2. Put enough acetone in a container so you can lay the tube in there and at least submerge 1/2 the tube.
3. Move tube around to coat all the tube. Keep this up for 15 seconds or so.
4. Remove tube and QUICKLY take a 3/8 drive 6" socket extension and push it through the tube.
5. As you're pushing it through, sort of try to "wallow out" the tube as you go.
6. repeat #5 2-3 times, then go back to #3.
7. repeat until there's enough showing to grab with pliers.

The insert's glue gives way pretty easily in acetone.

Acetone doesn't hurt the insert or tube. I would not trust it with the o-ring though.

I used a craftman and husky 6" extension. They both fit perfectly. Plenty of friction to grab the insert, but not enough to get hung up.

I took about 5 cycles for me to see movement. Before it moved I could hear the glue snap a little. I knew this would help the acetone penetrate behind the insert.

After it's out, the acetone does a good job of helping you clean out the rest of the glue.

Finally, this process left me with a clean and undamaged tube and insert. It will easily slide in and out so I can use it as needed.

switchoff

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Turbo, I followed your instructions (minus the acetone application) and it worked out well. It was a bit frustrating at times but after some patience I pulled the sucker out!

Now......where to find the cheapest 18650 batts and charger ?????

LuxTeon8

Newly Enlightened
Less steps that I used to remove the insert, based on the above method.

1. Remove the head and tailcap. Need the tube.
2. Put the tube in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove tube from the freezer and QUICKLY take a 3/8 drive 6" socket extension and push it through the tube. I used the Husky female end.
4. As you're pushing it through, sort of try to "wallow out" the tube as you go.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
LuxTeon8 said:
Less steps that I used to remove the insert, based on the above method.
1. Need the tube.
4. As you're pushing it through, sort of try to "wallow out" the tube as you go.

:thinking:

LuxTeon8

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the confusion:

1. The body (battery) tube with the plastic insert.
2. Put the tube in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
3. Remove tube from the freezer and QUICKLY take a 3/8 drive 6" socket extension and push it through the tube. I used the Husky female end.
4. Push the female end of the extension socket from the tail end into the plastic insert. It fits the plastic insert fairly snug. One third of the way in, angle the socket extension slightly to catch hold of the plastic insert while holding the tube down. Then push the insert out.

Basically, I froze the body tube instead of using any chemical. Somehow, I think the plastic insert shrunk quicker than the metal body. Thus slightly reducing the plastic insert diameter so that it can be push out using the Husky socket extension.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbodog said:
The insert's glue gives way pretty easily in acetone.

LuxTeon8 said:
Basically, I froze the body tube instead of using any chemical. Somehow, I think the plastic insert shrunk quicker than the metal body.

It sure sounds like they used cyanoacrylate adhesive (aka super glue). It doesn't hold up well under acetone or freezing temperatures. Wikipedia sez:

"Acetone, which is sometimes found in nail polish remover, is a commonly available solvent capable of softening cured cyanoacrylate.

Cold temperatures cause cyanoacrylate to become brittle. Cyanoacrylate's bond can be weakened, allowing disassembly, by placing a glued object in a household freezer for several hours."

Loomy

Enlightened
I would like to let future generations know that the easiest way is the upside-down canned air method. I tried a lot of methods years ago and finally returned to the problem now after being reminded of freezing = brittle crazy glue.

Wrap the tube in an insulator like paper towel. Shove a long tight-fitting metal tool like a ratchet adapter inside. Shoot upside-down canned air against the inside wall of the tube. Holding the tube in your fist, bang the metal tool against a hard surface like concrete at a 45 degree angle (to get traction against the inside of the tube).

For me, on the first try, and with very little precision technique involved, the tube snapped right out a number of millimeters. Some more bangs and pliers and out it came. The inside of the tube is a mess of black plastic glued to the inside, but the plastic tube itself is in good condition. I think acetone will fix the inside of the tube, but I'll probably make a mess of it and will need to re-do the lubrication of the threads, meaning I'll need to buy proper lubrication :sick:

A squirt of upside-down canned air is all it needed, after all this time! Oh well, victory is mine!