Need help with Laser Products 6P

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my hands on an older Surefire 6P. It has the round bezel, and even the bulb says laser products on it. It all came in the original box which is in great shape. The light has a few scratches. Rate it overall an 8 out of 10.

So the problem. Plastic lens. I can see no way to replace it. Does anyone know how this would be accomplished? If I return it to Surefire would they replace the lens on it?

Any suggestions?
Thanks

carrot

Flashaholic
If the lens is attached the same way as on the G2, (apparently) you can pop it out (heat it first, maybe). I think Flashlightlens.com sells replacement glass lenses that will fit.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You push it out from behind, and then snap the new one in from the front. I don't know if they're still doing it, but at one time SF would send out a couple free of charge.

*Bryan*

Enlightened
You can get the newer bezel and a p60 on ebay for $20... That would solve it and get you a LA as well.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Bryan* said:
You can get the newer bezel and a p60 on ebay for $20... That would solve it and get you a LA as well.

I have a newer 6P, and the parts do interchange, but with the exception of the plastic lens I want to keep it all stock. The Lamp works great, and is even slightly brighter than my newer one. You can't find P-Lamps that say Laser Products on them anymore. Even the tailcap says Laser Products, and works somoother than the new ones.

rikvee

Enlightened
Roundhandle 6P's in a good condition are harder to find, so for mine I just replaced the bezel with the Z44BK. This is the same model as on the current 6P, 9P and Z2, it has a pyrex lens and it's hexagonal sides stop the thing from rolling off the table...
The easy-to-scratch original round bezel with the plastic (Lexan?) lens is safely in a little plastic box....
BTW the A19 extender is a better match on the old 6P (since the current one has flat sides), so it makes for a pretty faux-9P, somehow slightly shorter than the new 9P.

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really love the old Surefires. Great sleek, useful, pretty design, and probably dirt cheap to make. I wish they hadn't let the new designs seemingly get controlled by CNC guys trying to prove who has the biggest tooling.

Just traded away my mint early, early 6P since I wasn't getting any use out of it. But I'm hanging onto the 6R and 9P for the forseeable future.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You aren't going to be able to put a glass lens in that without changing the bezel. The plastic is sort of snapped in, but a glass lens would break if you tried to install it. Glass is usually held on with a screw on bezel, or at least in a manner that doesn't use stress and pressure to hold it in place.

Of course I am just as likely to be wrong and someone will point that out. Just do it nicely please. :)

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
Yup - the lexan lenses "pop" into these. I have the same laser products 6P from the late 80's and had no problem getting a replacement lens for it 12 months back. Fitting instructions say they just pop in and out with sufficient pressure applied in the center of the lens. If you want a pyrex lens, you'll have to change the bezel to something newer.

And yes - I noticed the screw threads are way smoother on this than my newer HA3 C3.

Cheers