Any video hosting sites similar to imageshack?

bruner

Enlightened
Good Evening,

I really like imageshack for posting photos here on the forum and am hoping that someone here can point me to something similar but for videos.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Dan

bruner

Enlightened
Watt4,

Wow, what an interesing collection of lights you have (I just visited your home page). I see that you have entered the world of plastic lights as well as metal ones. I was very impressed with you collection. Good job!

Thank you for the list of links to file storage sites, but can you tell me, are any of these sites like imageshack (imageshack allows you to provide thumbnail links to stored files, as can be viewed by clicking on my "first mod" link in my signature).

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Photobucket for over a year. No complaints.
Their free account offers 50 MB of disc space and 2,500 MB of bandwidth per month.

I really should have seen that you are looking for a similar service for VIDEOS. :eek:

Last edited:

bruner

Enlightened
I'm doing a test with YouTube right now. I used my digital camera to shoot a quick mpeg video about 6meg in size. It took about 5 minutes to upload, which is odd becuase I'm on broadband cable internet. Now I've been trying to access it on their website for the last half hour and it just says "The video you have requested is not available. If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.

We'll see... I think it converts videos in to a macromedia flash file of some sort. Not sure, haven't read much about it yet.

I'll keep the situation posted here...

Dan

carrot

Flashaholic
bruner said:
I'm doing a test with YouTube right now. I used my digital camera to shoot a quick mpeg video about 6meg in size. It took about 5 minutes to upload, which is odd becuase I'm on broadband cable internet. Now I've been trying to access it on their website for the last half hour and it just says "The video you have requested is not available. If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.

We'll see... I think it converts videos in to a macromedia flash file of some sort. Not sure, haven't read much about it yet.

I'll keep the situation posted here...

Dan

Upload on home broadband is always much slower than download. Sounds a bit too slow to be cable upload, but who knows.
YouTube does convert to Flash. I like it that way. It seems very Flickr-like to me, but I don't have an account on it- don't have anything to upload.

bruner

Enlightened
Well,

It took over an hour for YouTube to convert the file, but here it is if anyone's interested:

http://www.youtube.com/?v=6k8-0VJUZO4

They do have sort of a thumbnail feature, but I can't copy and past the html code into this message and have it work properly. Here's the code, can anyone tell me what to change to possibley make it work?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6k8-0VJUZO4"></param><embed">http://www.youtube.com/v/6k8-0VJUZO4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6k8-0VJUZO4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Thanks,
Dan

carrot

Flashaholic
bruner said:
They do have sort of a thumbnail feature, but I can't copy and past the html code into this message and have it work properly. Here's the code, can anyone tell me what to change to possibley make it work?
I don't think you can. Plus, it'd eat bandwidth for those with narrowband connections, or reading CPF on the go (Starbucks?). A link to the video would probably be the best way anyhow.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
I highly recommend using Flickr over Photobucket -- unlimited storage space!

I just signed up on Flickr and uploaded some photos.

My first impression - the user interface and organizational capabilities of Flickr are abysmal compared to Photobucket.

Correct me if I'm wrong

- Flickr has no ability to create sub sets
- Flickr does not have the ability to create HTML code for selected photos
- Photobucket will simultaneously generate the following types of HTML code for selected photos:
--- HTML clickable thumbnails for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc.
--- HTML images for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc.
--- IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards
--- IMG images for message boards
--- URL's for email, Yahoo messenger, AOL messenger, etc
- Flickr does not provide for uploading directly into sets
- Flickr does not provide for selectively puting multiple pictures into a set
- Flickr thumbnails are way to small
- Flickr does not provide for easily moving photos from one set to another

carrot

Flashaholic
JimH said:
My first impression - the user interface and organizational capabilities of Flickr are abysmal compared to Photobucket.
You're just used to Photobucket. I personally feel the opposite is true.
To rename photos or edit descriptions, just click on them.
Correct me if I'm wrong
- Flickr has no ability to create sub sets
Flickr uses something called tags - keywords - a very popular new way to organize data. Sites like del.icio.us use them too. Try it out... tags are great once you get used to it.
- Flickr does not have the ability to create HTML code for selected photos
lt can. Look on the picture's individual page, and click 'view all sizes.' HTML code is available somewhere around there. It automatically gives you multiple sizes to choose from.
- Photobucket will simultaneously generate the following types of HTML code for selected photos:
--- HTML clickable thumbnails for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc.
--- HTML images for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc.
lt does this. Not sure about batch processing... if you ask the devteam they may add it. Flickr is constantly improving.
--- IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards
--- IMG images for message boards
Flickr does not do this.
--- URL's for email, Yahoo messenger, AOL messenger, etc
This is trivial. Right-click on the image and select 'copy image location.'
- Flickr does not provide for uploading directly into sets
- Flickr does not provide for selectively puting multiple pictures into a set
No, but tags directly replace sets for this purpose.
- Flickr thumbnails are way to small
They offer several sizes of pictures. See above.
- Flickr does not provide for easily moving photos from one set to another
This is true. I don't really have a problem with this. Have you tried the 'Organize' feature?

Please don't look at Flickr as a drop in replacement... it offers a different image hosting paradigm.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The major problem with Flickr is that everything is done on a photo-by-photo basis. There is no way to say "generate the code to display the clickable thumbnails for seven nonconsecutive photos". I.E. Flickr is basically a PIA to use compared to photobucket.

Maybe I can't store as much or have as much bandwidth on Photobucket, but at least I don't end up cussing and swearing every time I use it.

Photobucket is good to go right out of the box. The learning curve is almost nonexistant. Just sign up and start using it. I posted half a dozen pictures on CPF within 15 minutes of signing up on Photobucket.

Maybe
stupid.gif
, but, after 3 hours of total frustration, I still can't figure out how to display those same photos that I uploaded to Flickr.

carrot

Flashaholic
JimH said:
The major problem with Flickr is that everything is done on a photo-by-photo basis. There is no way to say "generate the code to display the clickable thumbnails for seven nonconsecutive photos". I.E. Flickr is basically a PIA to use compared to photobucket.

Maybe I can't store as much or have as much bandwidth on Photobucket, but at least I don't end up cussing and swearing every time I use it.

Photobucket is good to go right out of the box. The learning curve is almost nonexistant. Just sign up and start using it. I posted half a dozen pictures on CPF within 15 minutes of signing up on Photobucket.

Maybe
stupid.gif
, but, after 3 hours of total frustration, I still can't figure out how to display those same photos that I uploaded to Flickr.

Interesting. I suppose Flickr is not for everyone then. I don't have any need for working with multiple images at once, and prefer Flickr's "discoverable" interface (Flickr's interface and way of organization has been compared to MMORPGs -- massively multiplayer role playing games).