Arc-P difficult to turn on/off. Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
I recently recieved my (wife's) ARC-P and found that the head is somewhat difficult to turn in order to turn the light on/off or replace the batteries. It seems fairly uniform (not difficult in one spot). I applied some teflon lube but it didn't seem to help (maybe made it worse). I just rechecked and it seems like it's actually a little bit easier to turn now, but still a bit more difficult than I'd like.

Is this just a normal situation (the price paid for being waterproof, maybe), or is there something I can do that would make it easier to turn on and off?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an ARC AAA-P and applied silicone grease to the threads and O-ring. The head requires more torque to turn than the tail caps on my River Rock 2AAA and Gerber Infinity Ultra, but turning the light off and on is still a single hand operation.

It is easier to turn the ARC AAA-P's head than it is to turn the larger, 500 foot depth-rated, Princeton Tec 4AA Impact II. The extra effort inspires more confidence in waterproofing.

adrianmariano

Newly Enlightened
The only silicone stuff I have handy is a spray. When you say silicone grease do you mean something that is solid?

NoShadow

Enlightened
Use it a little while and it should become easier. Better snug than loose. It should never accidently turn on in your wife's purse or pocket. You can use the silicone spray. Spray it on a cotton swab and treat the threads and O-ring. Make sure you don't leave any cotton fibers behind before reassembly.

cy

Flashaholic
Arc AAA's of any flavor should not be too dificult to twist.

only exception is if a battery should leak gas, pressure will build up making twisting dificult.

you need to contact Peter to get a replacement. if you want to fix yourself, simply aply polishing compound into threads. remove Oring and lap threads until smooth.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
adrianmariano said:
The only silicone stuff I have handy is a spray. When you say silicone grease do you mean something that is solid?

I use silicone grease, not the thinner liquid spray. I bought the grease for under $4 US in a small, round plastic container in the plumbing section of Home Depot and use it on all my flashlights.

The grease will help in waterproofing because it fills air gaps in the threads and liquid spray will not.

I suggest you avoid using abrasives since that removes material.

cy

Flashaholic
opss, forgot to add take off oring and retest for drag.

if twisting becomes easier, then you need a thinner oring.
other wise you need to remove material to fix.

to resolve simply call Arc..

Status
Not open for further replies.