14 1x123A Luxeon lights' Runtimes on one graph

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy all! I spent about 3 hours putting this monster together - Fourteen 1x123A Luxeon lights runtimes compared all on one graph.

I know there has been a lot of debate about which of these little pocket lights are better, so here's more info to fuel the fire!

The highest output light became 100%, which was the HDS EDC Ultimate 60XR on Max.

I used the Overall Output numbers to correct the original runtime graphs numbers which were not standardized. They are standardized now. This makes their placement on the graph directly comparable. So a light starting at the 33% mark is actually putting out about 1/3 of the output of a light at the 100% mark.

Enjoy!

123runs.gif

songled

Newly Enlightened
The standardised graph is great! :goodjob::twothumbs
edited: A bigger image would be helpful since some of the lines (those start at 33%) are difficult to read.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, that looks like it took a LOT of work!

Though I don't care for the light, the Nuwai 2611 looks pretty nice on that graph, esp considering the price... as does the Dorcy.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does the Caribbean, which is the same light as the Mediteranean except for the reflector, put out so much more light on your graph?

atm

Enlightened
Awesome graph thanks Doug!

The thing that stands out for me is the flexibility of the HDS lights. Powerful beam when you want it, and looong lasting lower output for the 95% of the time when the extra brightness isn't needed.

Now that's smart lighting.

Shame I don't have one (yet). :)

Andrew

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brasso said:
Why does the Caribbean, which is the same light as the Mediteranean except for the reflector, put out so much more light on your graph?

You answered your own question - it's the reflectors. These runtime charts are made by measuring the brightest part of the beam, not the total output of the lights. Some reflectors focus more of the light in the center of the bright spot, some spread it out more through the entire beam. Some bright spots are very small, some are pretty large.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Now we have all the lumen outputs easily compared...

Those aren't the lumens outputs of the lights, just the lux measurements in the center of the beam.

Lumens is related to the overall output of the lights and is NOT illustrated in the above chart.

See Quickbeam's website for further explanation of the difference between lumens (total output) and lux (throw).

greenLED

Flashaholic
Wooooohooooo! Quickbeam, you :rock:
Excellent graph.

'zat Peak CPF DD? Nice curves on the other lights.
Could I request the Arc LSH put on there for "benchmark" reference?

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
:goodjob: Great graph! Thanks for doing this. Now I can see a little better how my Dorcy light stacks up to the other lights I want. Once again:goodjob:

Have you done a graph like this before with other types of lights?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Navck said:
Oops, didn't notice that.
Well at least we know the throw right?
Give us an output... (Yes I know the 1.43 thing...)

Oops, I stand corrected. I applied some of Quickbeam's throw and overall output numbers to the graphs and it's the Overall Output numbers that match up with the % ratios on the compiled runtime chart.

All this time, I thought he was using the beam bright spot to do the runtime charts, but it looks like he's been using his light box Overall Output measurements.

Boy do I feel stupid. I'm sorry to have misled you. My face is still red.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAustin said:
...reaffirms my belief that the Nuwai ALX-2611X is a very nice light for a very low price.
Agreed. In terms of efficiency (more or less the total area under the curve), the ALX-2611X eyeballs in as second to the HDS and more or less tied with the Amilite and the Peak Carribean. If you divided the total area for each light by its' cost (efficiency per dollar?), the ALX would be head and shoulders (like 4X) above any other light. Great light, with a tactical clickie no less.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
Thanks for all of your hard work.

The nuwai surprised me too. A very long runtime with decent output.

I forgive you lightObsession, every one has their moment.

rikvee

Enlightened
Great job, Quickbeam!

I wish I could read these better, but being red-green colorblind
(like 10% of the male population apparently) these sort of graphs aren't easy....
I end up figuring it out from all the comments after...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just simply an excellent piece of work, Doug. Really well done.

I was wondering why a Fenix hasn't somehow made it to you yet. It seems to be the new "Q3" benchmark light. I know it's not a 1x123 light, but it is always compared to them.

Latest posts