Gladius...What do you think about?

VT-Metal-VT

Newly Enlightened
What do u think about this flashlight??
It's possible to use rechargeable battery?

THX

Blazer

Enlightened
Great flashlight, versatile, great weight and balance, I like the flanges for different types of grips. Changing batteries is quirky but simple once you know how to do it.
Love the strobe.
Great for low light situations when you want LONG runtime on 2 CR123As (just use the mode with the lowest output setting and volia.
Haven't even investigated rechargeables in this light.
Do a search, you'll find much about the Gladius on here.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
In general I like this flashlight. I wish there was a different way to switch between the various modes. Instead of rotating the rear cap I wish they made a switch that had a rocker mechanisim to it. Push halfway in for momentary light, rock forward or backward for strobe. Rotating the cap requires fine motor skills, as well as remembering which way to go to get the strobe on. I think one would be hard pressed to use this light effectively under a high stress/fast unfolding situation.

Longbow

Enlightened
The Gladious is more of a "novelty light" than a professional tactical flashlight. Most pros still use/prefer Surefire.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Longbow said:
The Gladious is more of a "novelty light" than a professional tactical flashlight. Most pros still use/prefer Surefire.

:huh2: What's up with the light-bashing, Longbow? Seems like every other post about the Gladius I see from you is a negative one? :thinking:

VT, check the reviews forum for more details on this light; it's a well designed, solidly built light, with an excellent user interface. You can use 18650 rechargeables in it, but the low-batt indicator quicks in (light flashes every couple of seconds). You'd have to ask Ken about using R123's, don't know if it'll handle them.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow (who seems pretty decent otherwise) has an extensive history of bashing the Gladius straight off the cuff. Seems like almost a reflex reaction at this point so many of us wonder what the heck happened there.

Anyway, having said that I was one of those who had some serious concerns about the Gladius initially (see this thread - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/95176&highlight=Gladius )

Having been convinced to give it a shot my opinion did change (see this thread - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97498&highlight=Gladius )

Having owned one for a few months now, having gone through a set of batteries, and having carried it for several backcountry outings, I have to say I really like this light a lot!
(I still hate the lockout though, I've mastered the technique for doing it one handed but it's still a pain in the a$$ to avoid locking the light on vs off).

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lockout is tricky, but there's a trick:

Hold the light bezel-down with your thumb and forefinger on the switch selector ring, the first joint of your thumb resting on the edge of the ring. Apply a light twisting force as you gently lever down the button with the end of your thumb. As the button depresses, the ring will rotate into the lockout position.

The thing is, you have to rest your thumb on something else you will tend to push the button too far and lock the light on.

Scott

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gladius is a great light. I have one and my wife carries one in her purse.
You really have to use it to appreciate how simple and intuitive it is to operate.

Read zespectre's review, it is really good.
I personally have no trouble with the lockout. The trick is to press the corner of the edge of the plunger ONLY enough to get the dial to turn.

I just got finished writing an email last night to Night-Ops about how the Gladius kept a couple of reckless drivers from hitting my family on the same night at the same intersection about 3 hours apart. Picture this, dark night + poorly lit busy blvd + us crossing a wide side street at cross walk + reckless driver deciding at the last minute to make a right turn straight at my family.

Each time I strobed the car and it immediately stopped. While the blvd itself was poorly lit, there was a lot of traffic and there were Christmas lights everywhere (We were walking to and from a local parade). Only my brightest lights would have been noticed in the midst of all of the sources of illumination in a continuous on mode.
My brightest lights would also have outright blinded the drivers mentioned above.
The strobe of the Gladius simply comands attention.

That is just one of it's many features.
If you need to negotiate a room without disturbing others use it on low which is 1/100th of full brightness.
It will easily light ojects 100 to 150 feet away. On a dark night I can see objects 102 yards away (yes I have measured the distance accurately).

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
:huh2: What's up with the light-bashing, Longbow? Seems like every other post I see from you is a negative one? :thinking:

I see nothing wrong with his statement. He doesn't feel that Gladius is good as a tactical light.

Many people may think that Gladius kicks butt....I keep hearing comments about how great the strobe feature is....

And yet, in tactical usage, I have yet to see a strobe used by ANY operator for it's advertised purpose. Generally, you want a bright, durable, reliable light that is easily activate with gross motor movements.

Surefire has carved out it's niche by meeting these needs. Gladius is attempting to move into this territory by claiming an improvement in light technology by adding the strobe feature. Personally, I feel the strobe is an unneeded addition to the light and is not a feature that I need. I also have never heard of a tactical user complaining that a strobe feature was missing from a Surefire.

In short, I think the Gladius may be a great light- but I am not going to fault Longbow for his statement that Surefire remains the leader in tactical lighting.

greenLED

Flashaholic
LedF, agreed, there's nothing inherently wrong with his comment. It's his constant bashing with no apparent reasoning to back it up that has me wondering. Could also be I missed the post where he reasons out his dislike. I'm just curious to know why he dislikes the Gladius so much, that's all.

I should probably go back an edit my post too, to clarify, it's his Gladius-related posts I'm talking about. Done.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
VT-Metal-VT said:
What do u think about this flashlight??
It's possible to use rechargeable battery?
THX
It's a great light, but at that price point it's competing with the Surfire U2 and HDS U85, both of which are also great lights.

The Gladius goes much dimmer than the U2 (a common U2 complaint). It doesn't have as much output, but has better throw. The Gladius bezel is smaller so may be easier to holster. The Gladius has MUCH longer runtime than either U2 or HDS U85.

The U85 is smaller, but has significantly more output than the Gladius but less throw. Runtime at max output is only a fraction of the Gladius -- 35 min vs over 3 hr.

The U2 has 45% more output than the Gladius but 37% less throw. Runtime is significantly less, 1 hr 4 min vs 3 hr 17 min.

The Gladius also has the strobe feature, which the other two don't.

The Gladius is a compelling light; if you want the greater throw, longer runtime, or tactical features it's a good fit. If you want smaller size, the HDS is good. If you want the most output and a broader beam, the U2 is good. Some people prefer the U2's rotating brightness control more than the Gladius' pushbutton or the HDS click control.

UVvis

Enlightened
The gladius is the most versatile light I have.

Of all my lights, if I could only have one, I would pick the Gladius due to its features. The lowest setting is about perfect for when you don't need much light.

I do not think they will work on two rechargeable 123a's, as Ken Good said the voltage is too high.

Longbow is partially correct, most professionals do use the Surefire lights, but mostly due to price point. The gladius costs as much as a new M3. However night-ops is also releasing their own incandescent line as well now, which should easily compete with surefire provided that night-ops can support their product as well.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
LeDfLaShEr,

I have tested the strobe extensively for it's intended purpose.
Regarding its intended purpose, read the "Why strobe light mode?"
in the link below.

http://www.night-ops.com/Gladius-FAQ.htm

It works and works very well in the following areas.

1. When closing a gap to an opponent.
2. In sparring circumstances.
3. For getting a quick upper hand against an assailent to execute a technique and then run.

The best way I have found to get people to see the value of the strobe is to get them to volunteer to be on its receiving end in any of the above circumstances.
I have a good friend that is waiting for the black HA III's to be stock. After showing him numerous lights on Halloween night. I simply turned the Gladius on strobe from about 25 feet and started walking quickly at him, when I touched his shoulder he jumped and said, "I have to get one of those". When I tried the same exercise with one of my sons I let him hold a padded baseball bat and I started from a little farther away and added a couple of studder stops and slightly chainged my pace. The results were the same, I got him and the bat before he could swing at me.

Regarding Lognbow's post, it does seem like he follows Gladius threads and bashes the light.

In one thread he mentioned not liking Night-Ops using the term "Illumination Tool" because it seemed like unnecessary hype for something that is just a flashlight.
I took issue with that and metioned all flashlights are by definition "illumination tools" and even provided links to dictionary definitions of both terms.
The problem with his above post is the statement is a statement of opinion written as though it is a fact.

In my opinion-
Longbow's stating opinions as statements of fact is just as bad a use of "hype" as the
"product hype" he has been decrying.
These are my opinions.
You can do a search on Longow's or my name and find the thread I am referring to. I am only mentioning this so that you will know there is a history behind Longbow's post and the posts taking issue with it.

Take Care,

Last edited:

magic79

Enlightened
First, the question that hasn't been answered about rechargables - Night-Ops specifically says in their literature and on their website: "Note: The Gladius is not designed to be used with rechargeable batteries."

I have both the Gladius and the HDS U60. The only situation I find the Gladius to be the better light is "tactical", which for me means pistol competitions and that's about it.

The light is excellent. I really like the non-mechanical switching. It's very bright and throws as well as a Surefire E2D. I have Channel 3 set up for "memory", meaning that the light will turn on at the same brightness at which I turned it off. I like that, but much prefer the HDS interface with 4 brightness levels being available. With it's flanges, it's the easiest flashlight I've ever used for the "Surefire-Rogers" technique.

The main thing I don't like about the Gladius, other than limited pre-selected brightnesses, is that it's HUGE! Not heavy, but volumetrically huge. I would estimate that its volume is 70 - 100% more than a Surefire E2D. That makes pocket carry just about unfeasible.

In short, I think it's an excellent performer with a decent number of options, but it's the one light I have that I don't think is worth the money.

Last edited:

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Gladius is circuitry is designed around a maximum 7 volt input.
I called and asked a while back.
I think regular RCR2's would propably ruin the light.
People have reported success with Pila or similar type cells if you consider an hour + of double blinks every 15 seconds working. Not me, I just make sure I have loads of Titanium CR123A's around at all times.

Take Care,

greenLED

Flashaholic
can't really compare the Gladius with the e2 (every other 2x123 light is huge compared to it), the 6p or the GL2 are more of its equivalent size.

UVvis

Enlightened
greenLED said:
can't really compare the Gladius with the e2 (every other 2x123 light is huge compared to it), the 6p or the GL2 are more of its equivalent size.

Compare the Gladius to the L5. They are approximately the same length, but the KL5 head is larger, and the gladius is smarter, has more throw, more features, and is probably bright with greater runtime, and a low battery blinker.

The Gladius wasn't designed to be a pocket carry light, the flanges are an obvious clue.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
To the point where I wonder if he works for Surefire or some other competitor.

Please ... we don't want to go in this direction. Attack the post, and not the poster. And in this thread we are discussing the Gladius and not Longbow's posting habits.

Also ... I'd urge you to refrain from such statements as quoted above for obvious reasons, especially the lack of truth and proof in it.

bernhard

Longbow

Enlightened
LeDfLaShEr... Thankyou for your support.

Other members whom I have offended by my negative opinions, I sincerely appoligize, and will try to not let it happen again. Sorry.

greenLED

Flashaholic
No offense at all, Longbow, just curious what you dislike about the Gladius. Maybe I didn't word my wondering right. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

Latest posts