EDC, EWC, SDC & WDC defined.

tron3

Banned
Every Day Carry (EDC) is pretty much a universal term. But my one thread started to blossom into new terminologies. I feel they are important to the flashaholic lexicon so let's define them.

EDC - Every day carry. The flashlight you carry everyday. Probably something you feel is all purpose and covers you in most circumstances. QIII's and Fenix's are 2 popular choices. Typically small and bright for flashaholics. Keychain type and minimags also fit the bill for people wanting something "just in case."

EWC - "...which to me means EveryWhere Carry, on my person at all times, at home, at work, at play, in the bathroom, in the bedroom, in the garage, everywhere" -Blazer (Probably small as well, but how is this different than EDC's -TRON3)

SDC- "Sunday & Dress Carry, or simply Sunday Carry" Any event where you will be dressed in a suit or business casual such as office work, weddings, parties, etc." (Specifically coined for the Fenix L1P.) These would tend to be small, but sleekness is key. Inova models may fit here as well due to the narrow sleek design, and chrome tips. -TRON3

WDC - Work Day Carry. "I use my Fenix L1P as a WDC (Work Day Carry) because it's small and bright enough to be used behind computers and it is small enough to be carried on the belt without being overly conspicuious and gaudy." -Diggdug13

Thoughts?

greenLED

Flashaholic
I feel EDC already encompasses EWC and WDC. My current "SDC" is sleek/special enough that I EDC it. :confused:

tron3

Banned
greenLED said:
I feel EDC already encompasses EWC and WDC. My current "SDC" is sleek/special enough that I EDC it. :confused:

I'd have to agree on the EWC, sounds like a EDC clone. But I still feel WDC is valid because it could be a light they are required to carry for the job, and not their personal choice.

Let's see what the people say.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I think we need to add ENC- every night carry. Is it just me, or does anyone else use different flashlights when they go out at night. During the day, all I have is the peak matterhorn, but at night I throw on the my brinkman maxfire along with it. Am I alone?:candle:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm, by your definitions:

EDC: Fenix L1P and Vital Gear FB2 with BOG Module
EWC: Fenix L1P (ALWAYS! ALWAYS!)
SDC: Fenix L1P and Vital Gear FB2 with BOG Module
WDC: Fenix L1P and Vital Gear FB2 with BOG Module

I also have a dimmer light of some sort about with me 90% of the time but it rotates... right now, it's a Solitaire mod with a sanded Nichia CS on a AAA-sized LiON cell. Sometimes it may be an CMG Infinity Ultra, sometimes it may be the River Rock 2xAAA light and sometimes it may be a Quest minimag clone with a sanded down Snow 29 LED on a LiON and dummy cell.

Edited to add: ENC: Still the Fenix and Vital Gear

We may also need a AHC or 'around the house carry' which would be either the Solitaire CS mod or the Quest Snow 29 mod. For when I really don't need any throw but a huge wide beam is what I want.

And we may also need an IWC or 'in the woods carry' which for me, in addition to the above Fenix, Vital Gear and dimmer light would be a Mag 2C with a UW0K on a multi level nFlex and 2 18650 cells and currently has an LEDBeam reflector which gives a bit less throw than the Mag reflector, but created about a 20% larger hotspot which I like.

Last edited:

Blazer

Enlightened
offroadcmpr said:
I think we need to add ENC- every night carry. Is it just me, or does anyone else use different flashlights when they go out at night. During the day, all I have is the peak matterhorn, but at night I throw on the my brinkman maxfire along with it. Am I alone?:candle:

Interesting...

And here's another brain teaser, can your EDC, ENC, EWC, SDC, WDC all be the same light?

My distinction between the EDC and the EWC is that the EWC is with me all the time, whereas my EDC is only with me when I go out of the house or out of the office, I can't carry a SF 6P around when I'm in boxers but my fenix on a lanyard can be unobtrusive anywhere anytime.

But I don't have a problem with EDC representing EWC, I'll defer to the real nutjob flashaholics on this site (of which I hope to become oneday....wiping the envious tear from my eye)

Good glossary though, thanks for posting.

tron3

Banned
offroadcmpr said:

Hmmm, Probably a more rare carry. From the few posts I see, I presume most people just bring their EDC. But a number of people must live in area's without street lights and need a night light.

When I am home I carry an Inova as a battery drainer and for taking out the trash in the dark.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
tron3 said:
...WDC is valid because it could be a light they are required to carry for the job, and not their personal choice.

Ah! OK, I see the difference now.

Blazer said:
And here's another brain teaser, can your EDC, ENC, EWC, SDC, WDC all be the same light?
In the non-technical lighting life I have, yes. Like I said, there are a couple of versatile lights that can serve multiple purposes.

tron3

Banned
Blazer said:
But I don't have a problem with EDC representing EWC, I'll defer to the real nutjob flashaholics on this site (of which I hope to become oneday....wiping the envious tear from my eye)...

<hugs> There there now, Blazer. Many Flashaholic wannabe's still go on to lead productive lives.

Just remember the difference. A true flashaholic is many to most of the behaviors of people on this site.

A Nut Job is someone where you can only find their Fenix via a cavity check.
I'll let you think about that one. :thinking:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well of course in my eyes WDC is valid, in my line of work (Navy), I carry a small bright usable light for Mainenance inspections and room inspections as well as general use light (Fenix, TW4). My EDC is far too big to be used for that purpose so I have to switch them out when I get home (PM6 Superbird mod). and S&DC lights are my purrdy lights for when I dress up (Bare Al McLux III PD, Proto TnC N cell or LionCub)

but I am honored that the term WDC "might" catch on..

Thank you
Doug

carrot

Flashaholic
How about FDC for Formal Dress Carry instead of SDC? SDC sounds too tied to a certain religion that not everybody shares.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the term "EDC" exists because the lights, knives, guns etc that fit the bill for this use have really proven themselves to the carrier(s). They get discussed enough that typing that out becomes tedious. I think that anyone who carries a flashlight "every day" will use it at work and the only value in defining a light as a work light would be if ones job has special requirements that the light must meet to be effective. In this case we might as well be discussing the lights use within the profession and the term denotes the light as well as the profession ie "duty light". Obviously a duty light is carried by a cop, security guard, military, emt etc and the term conveys a good bit of info.

Using initials for just conveying that a light is used at work seems that it would just cause more confusion. Do you work in a sewer, hospital or bank? Are you an electrician , a veterinarian or an appraiser? All WDC really conveys is that you are getting paid while carrying it. We want to communicate better and I think more initials is a step back.

As for the other terms , EWC might really say something about a light because this implies that you carry it even into the shower and to bed. This would be a class of lights that is extremely unobtrusive and likely worn. I personally think that very few lights would meet this criteria. I doubt that the term , at this point, is useful enough to warrant initializing.

As for Sunday & Dress Carry , I think that just plain Dress Carry or Formal Carry is better since it doesn't assume everyone gets dressed up and goes to church. "Dress Carry" also requires no awkward reaching for an ampersand. It could be argued that "Shelf Queen" already serves very well to communicate the idea of a prized light that is only carried on special occasions.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old Arc AAA & Inova MicroLight are EDC. E1L, E2e, G2, Scorpion, U60, or Q3 are WDC. L1P is OOMOOW (often on me outside of work). Arc LS is my SDC.

'Scuse me while I (kiss the sky) moov along and graze elsewhere.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC: Nuwai TM-310H.
EWC: ????
SDC: AAA miniM@G
WDC: When I was working 2AA incan in office drawer. Borrows 2D incan (supplier gift) while in shop. Did not use my then EDC a Solitaire at work if I can find another light.

???? I do not carry the same light everywhere. When I go out I have the little lights in my pockets. When I am home the 4AA lights on my nightstand get used most often. I got my 7x7mm at my computer table and a 2 in 1 area/flashlight on the kitchen counter.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
and we need more acronyms because...? :huh2:

Usually to convey information quickly and concisely.

The above acronyms might help some folks feel like they are a part of something on account of the lingo they use . For some "coining" a term or acronym boosts self esteem. There was a feller here who called himself Aten Imago who just loved trying to "coin" terms, IIRC , he was especially fond of acronyms.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
People EDC their E2E,
while some prefer the L1P,
which usually serves as an EWC.

Hey, don't ask me why,
I think'a real EWC is the Firefli.
You may say "Hey, that's not carry, it's wear",
Well, I don't really care.
As long as it illuminates,
my needs it can satiate.

Now we come to the SDC,
sleek and small its gotta be,
so we look back to the L1P,
which happens to be my EDC.

The WDC's gotta be a little tougher,
Increasing its size, I can give a lil' buffer,
If you were an L.E.O,
An M6 might be the way to go.

But if you are a computer geek,
Just stick to the abovementioned sleek.
so be it EDC, EWC, SDC and WDC,
the winner is the L1P.

carrot

Flashaholic
bruner said:
Nice work LEDcandle!

How about this acronym:
F.I.D.A.C.A.D.B.C.A.

Flashlight I Dream About Carying All Day But Can't Afford.

Too long? Maybe.

Dan

Hmm. The shorter acronym for this is "SF Beast" :D