My 1st mod

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I wanted to start out with a simple mod I've been looking at doing for a while. I have a Lumilite 4600 6V lantern that has the 4 D adapter with it. I was wondering If I took the adapter and rewired it to run 2 sets of D's in parallel instead of series and changed the bulb to a 3v led if it would be would be worth it? Id get twice the run time from the light and I'm not after a "spot light" more of a flood light.

I have plenty of 3mm (12k mcd) and 5mm (20k mcd) leds around to play with or should i just purchase an aftermarket led upgrade??

Any opinions?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... well, that would certainly give good runtime! I think I'd personally go for one of the PR-base LEDs from Sino Union. There has been at least one group buy organized and they made them in 2 cell and more than 2 cell versions. I have a couple of the 2 cell bulbs, one in a Mag 2D and one in a $.97 plastic Walmart 2xAA light and both are very usable and give ungodly runtime!

Personally, I think I'd rather have a dimmer light that had a nice even beam than one a little brighter than had LOTS of artifacts so this is why I'd prefer a single 5mm LED centered in the reflector.