Turn a L1P into a Headlamp?

GrnXnham

Enlightened
I have the Fenix L1P and L2P and I would be interested in getting one of the headbands with a holder on it to turn these lights into a headlamp. I have seen them for the mini mag lights. Any recommendations as to which ones would be the best to insure that the lights never slip out and drop to the ground? Which of these flashlight/headbands holds it the most securely? Are any of these flashlight holders any good or am I looking a a broken flashlight by doing this?

thanks

Dave

carrot

Flashaholic
How about duct tape?

Sorry... couldn't resist. Free bump then.

I have never had any experience with flashlight-headlamp bands. I use my Photon Freedom Micro with the included clip on my glasses or hat for a headlamp when I really can't hold a light. Or hold a light in my mouth.

dealer

Newly Enlightened
REI has one that I use with my L2P. It seems to be very tite.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they all hold tight the problem is you can't tilt them up and down and if you wear glasses they will definately give you glare off the lenses.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Okay, I got one. I found that I could tilt it up and down slightly by moving the entire headband up and down.

Also, at first I had glare off of my glasses, so I slid the L2P forward a little so the flashlight stuck out farther than my glasses. This took care of the problem.

The headband was $7 at REI. Too bad no one appears to make one that is a stretch type material like most actual headlamps have. This one was a non-stretch material with a velcro attachment.

drmaxx

Enlightened
GrnXnham said:
Okay, I got one. I found that I could tilt it up and down slightly by moving the entire headband up and down.

Also, at first I had glare off of my glasses, so I slid the L2P forward a little so the flashlight stuck out farther than my glasses. This took care of the problem.

I did not like this solution at all. I found that the light irritates my right eye, because the bulb is so close to the eye. This is especially bad with a light as bright as the L1P. I could minimise it with a lot of wiggeling - but even then I consider this only an solution for emergencies.

Yooper

Enlightened
drmaxx said:
I did not like this solution at all. I found that the light irritates my right eye, because the bulb is so close to the eye. This is especially bad with a light as bright as the L1P. I could minimise it with a lot of wiggeling - but even then I consider this only an solution for emergencies.

Huh? I just put mine on to check this. If I move it back far enough in the elastic loop I can't even tell it's there - there's just this magical really bright light wherever I look. It's the perfect angle for walking and working at my desk and reading. I no longer will carry a second light backpacking but will just bring my L1P and the strap. It's a Good Thing! :D

Edit: forgot to add, my ancient JakStrap is stretchy. Shop around and maybe you can find a stretchy one....

GrnXnham

Enlightened
drmaxx said:

Yes. I found this setup to be more comfortable with the L2P than the L1P. With it's longer length, the L2P is more adjustable within the strap and you could move the lens further from the eye, cutting down on glare.