Begginer Questions, 18650s, Isolating ground on R/O and more..

SonoranFun

Banned
Okay, I have to tell you all I'm clueless here.. I've just been playing and trying to learn so help me out please.. I have a bunch of Metal Gears, I just like the light A LOT! First thing I've every really played with.. I've added thermal paste to mine after checking the bins and I pulled the resistor for I don't know what reason but they seem brighter.. Here are my questions though as I've bought some 3w stars I intend to put in..

1) I bought an R/O 3 watter and hear about isolating the ground, what is this and how do I do it? Does this just have to be done for the R/O?

2) I would like to run them direct drive off 18650s, is this okay to do? I don't care so much about run time but don't know if it would be better to put a 1/2 ohm resistor in there?

3) Bins and me so confused.. I ordered some stars direct, is always luck of the draw? Can some take more volts then others? Why do they make different Bins or is it just something that happens?

4) Running a 3 watter in there is it a good idea to maybe add some metal for a heat sink to the little one they have? Is it going to get super hot?

5) What can you add to get more regulated power output so it doesn't fall off and dim like 25% in the first half hour?

6) I hear a lot about the amps and checking them, running at 350 or 700.. How do I just this, why do I need to know and well, anything else you can add would be nice..

Sorry for all the new guy questions.. If you want to ask me about breeding snakes, Land Cruisers, Computers or Saltwater fish tanks I wouldn't sounds so stupid and would be more then happy to help...

Last edited:

SonoranFun

Banned
Re: Modding Dorcey Metal Gear with 3W Stars.. Begginer Questions

Please help with any of this if you can.. I'm waiting on buying stuff until I can make a more educated choice..

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modding Dorcey Metal Gear with 3W Stars.. Begginer Questions

I've yet to build a R/O where it was put against a negative ground object. I have one in a Sam's Club Element, but the strap that goes to the 'grounding' spring attaches to a positive terminal. I also put one in a Q1 (which has an obvious negative ground) and it worked just fine but literally a couple hours after building and testing it, I read about the positive back of the R/O and took it back apart.

I to am wondering about what exactly should be done when using a R/O star in a light such as a Q1/Q3.

I hate to say, but you might get more responses if you edit your title to something such as 'Grounding R/O Lux III Stars' as some knowledgable folks might skip right past the tread since it mentions the Metal Gear.

SonoranFun

Banned
Okay, who do I gotta $#&% to find some of this stuff out..... :) Honestly, can somebody help me at least with the R/O questions?