How About A Common Flashaholic Lexicon?

lexina

Enlightened
This thread was inspired by tron3's efforts to introduce a standardised list of acronyms for the flashlight or flashaholic community. While having acronyms is fine, they tend to be vague and undescriptive. I thought it would be fun to see if we can come up with simple, witty terms to describe events and actions. For example, in mountain biking, we have terms like endo, face-plant and bunny-hop which are descriptive as well as funny. The only one I am aware of here is the dreaded "instaflash"!

I am sure the creative community here can come up with catchy terms for everyday (well, hopefully not!) occurrences such as:-

- inserting cells the wrong way wrong

- flashing a light into someone's face (in self-defense or not)

- burning a hole in your pocket because the light came on accidentally

- having the wife discover your secret collection of lights!

I am sure there are many more....

Last edited:

Brangdon

Newly Enlightened
In my view such jargon will prevent newcomers from understanding the forum. It is therefore a bad idea. As are the acronyms.

Macaw

Enlightened
having the wife discover your secret collection of lights! = BUSTED!:sweat:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
apparently CNC's are common

Why force the process?:huh2:

This reminds me of that weird made up language that William Shatner learned and spoke exclusively in a movie in the 60's. The evolution of language is a dynamic process that embodies moments of inspiration at precise moments of genesis characterized by necessity.

Sitting around thinking up different ways of saying the same things we're already saying sounds like an effort inspired by some obsolete government agency to justify its existence and further finacial support.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eschew Obfuscation

Oh, all those words from Mountain Biking have been around since at least the 70's BMX scene and evolved naturally without the aid of a Special Commision to Enhance Linguistic Flamboyancy.

lexina

Enlightened
Re: Eschew Obfuscation

xochi said:
Oh, all those words from Mountain Biking have been around since at least the 70's BMX scene and evolved naturally without the aid of a Special Commision to Enhance Linguistic Flamboyancy.

aah, the SCELF :)

but anyway, i wasn't serious about the whole thing...just wanted to see what kind of funny words you guys can dream up. The ironic thing is, we can't even control the meaning of the most logical term .. Flashing!

h_nu

Enlightened
The best terms are so obvious that we instantly know what is meant by them. Other groups that use jargon exclude non-members of the group. Jargon is a barrier to entry.

A good example of a CPF term is the reference to "angry blue". It's not just blue. We all know what it looks like. Sadly, we know.

carrot

Flashaholic
h_nu said:
The best terms are so obvious that we instantly know what is meant by them. Other groups that use jargon exclude non-members of the group. Jargon is a barrier to entry.

A good example of a CPF term is the reference to "angry blue". It's not just blue. We all know what it looks like. Sadly, we know.

Agreed.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:shakehead: We have enough acronyms. Go to theledmuseum.org and/or visit the CPF Wiki and/or read enough threads to learn them as you go. Don't know what something means? PM the poster, ask in the thread, do a Google search on web acronyms... no need to normalize everything; you'll learn them soon enough.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take this to be a humerous way to define things

Black Hole- inserting cells the wrong way wrong
Attempting to suck photons by putting the batteries in backwards