dr gift help

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
i want to buy a dr i am friends w/a led 'small' light for exam use.

yah know, for when they look at your eyeballs, or down the throught

normally i've sceen my dr friends use either mostly those dollar throwaway penlights or the oldfashioned"" eveready 2 cell clickie chromed penlight incan

sure they all have that professional whatchamacallit pro light w/the lense attachments but for the quick n dirty peeks

what might be a good led light that slim easy for the dr to edc, good on batts not going to blind someone but will allow the dr to see at a good color temp (ug no incan)

I think streemlight makes a long skinny penlight any other ideas?

tnx

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
This was just discussed at length last week I believe. Do a short search and you should find it.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am a doctor and use a Nuwai .5W light on 3xAAA:

05WGlobetrotter.jpg

The 2xAA version is sold somewhere inthese halls.
I am very satisfied ... almost too bright, white, long runtime and cheap ... if it gets stolen, lost or "dirty" ... I can just buy a new one.

I used to have my Chief_Wiggum custom on me, but after a lot of my colleagues reported stoplen lights I changed to the Nuwai. Better than nothing.

Othe ralternatives are: Stylus, LedLenser V16

penlights.jpg

bernie

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the looks of that V16, Kiessling... I remember when you posted a pic of it several months ago, I was interested. I've been getting by with either a Garrity 2xAAA stainless steel light, but the plastic head and clickie are cheesy. The River Rock 2xAAA (rebranded Nuwai) has been mostly filling that role but that V16 looks way nicer. Is it easy to get to and remove the LED to replace with something else? And is it a 3mm or 5mm LED?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak makes a 2AAA stainless steel single or 3 snow LED light. For eye testing, the single snow (white) LED should work fine and two AAA batteries should give very long runtime. If it gets contaminated, it would be no problem to wash it off as the waterproof construction would shake it off without any problems.

I plan to buy a doctor friend one for his going away present... the Peak Fujiyama 2AAA is a very classy light that should last him for decades.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
Keissling- WAY OT, but could you show a picture of that rug your Nuwai is sitting on? It looks very similar to an old, beat-up one I got from a relative who was cleaning out their house. I know nothing about it, where it came from, how old it is, etc.

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone that stylus looks great

wonder if it's water''proof' or at least resistant?

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a doctor, but I use a Nuwai .5 watt 2AAA for my Eye exams - it's almost too bright (you don't need a really bright light to check pupillary reaction - a photon or similar would work (and many of my colleagues carry these attached to their stethescopes). I also carry a L1P for looking in the mouth, at wounds, etc...

Sam, PA-C

greenLED

Flashaholic
Isn't accurate color rendition an issue with LED penlights? We'd talked about it with my brother (dentist) when someone asked for a headlamp for dental use. IIRC, it came up on some of the other penlight threads also.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a Stylus but gave it away... I don't know if it was 'waterproof' but I'd imagine it is resistant enough that if it was somehow compromised with bodily fluids, one could remove the cells, put the tail back on and wash/sanatize it, let it rest and dry a while and it would be good as new. I'm pretty sure the LED side looks pretty water resistant, can't recall if there was an O-ring on the tail but I 'think' there was.

The issue I had with the Stylus is, while it worked just fine, it didn't really have a nice 'quality' feel to it like I suspect the LED Lenser light would but that is only a flashlight junkies opinion... Most folks looking for a more utilitarian light would probably be quite happy with the Stylus and its lighter weight.

Yooper

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Isn't accurate color rendition an issue with LED penlights? We'd talked about it with my brother (dentist) when someone asked for a headlamp for dental use. IIRC, it came up on some of the other penlight threads also.

Depends on what you're trying to do with it. Diagnosis of some strange lesion that could be a cancer? Yes, it could be very important. If I think a patient has conjunctival lymphoma, for example, I stop looking at them with my halogen slit lamp and walk them to a window or actually outside to look at the color of the lesion in natural sunlight. Conjunctival lymphoma has a characteristic salmon color that doesn't show up well under artificial lighting.

For pupil exams and looking down throats any old light will do 95% of the time, and my Fenix L1P is quite white - I think it provides better color rendition than a yellowish typical weak incandescent light does.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Cratz2 ... the V16 uses 2xBR435 which are rare tubular lithium cells and is rather dim, but as opposed to most the other LedLenser lights it is waterproof (at least mine are), and it is very very slim and small. Some more pics and beamshots:

V16_art.jpg

ll_aaa_-_v16.jpg

Here's a beamshot of the Stylus vs the V16 and the Penlux:

penlights_beams.jpg

Color rendition is important when looking at tissues and needing to come up with a diagnosis. Pupil reaction works with any shade of white. And besides ... when compared to the sickly yellow incan el cheapo penlights that most doctors use ... a 5mm LED isn't a step backwards, really not.

An important point wouls also be the "edgeg" of the beam ... to properly test a pupil you eitehr flash the light in the eyes or move it in from the side (which is preferrable since this makes it easier to judge the consensual pupil reaction) ... and there a sharp cut-off of the beam edges is important. This is where the Penlux excelled (besides all other great aspects of this light).

LED BriCK ... I don't have a better pic right now and I loaned my digicam, so I can't take one. It is not that old (say roughly 100-200 years IIRC) and in rather good condition, and according to my parents who sponsored it ... it isn't that expensive, a few thousand bucks at the most. Sorry, no more infos, I don't know squat about those things.

bernie

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yooper said:
I'm an ophthalmologist. I use my Fenix L1P all day. It is ideal. I'm thinking of getting an L2P for the office for the longer run time.

have any patients c/o fenix being too bright in their eyes?? I use the HDS, primary setting (10 lumens) for my exams and I just shined it into my own eyes - tolerable. the fenix, I was seeing spots for a few minutes.

I am also looking for a gift to give a good friend for his impending med school graduation and will watch with interest what other suggestions may surface from this thread.

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
yooper, just wondering, the size/weight, do you carry it on you 'all the time' on the job?

i was also assuming that i'd need something really easy to carry for the dr's or elese they would ultimately not value it but i guess thinking about it, those crappy disposable's they are using are worse than a fenix

what made you pick a fenix over say one of the skinny long ones like stylus

thanks for the help everybody

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
The Fenix L1P works well for making early morning rounds. It's bright enough to inspect dressings, wounds, etc. without having to turn on the overhead lights in the patients' rooms. I also sometimes use it to backlight radiographs if there's no lightbox available, or to spotlight an area of interest on the radiograph. As an additional perk, AA batteries are usually free for the asking from the ward clerk or OR control desk, as most pagers use them.

The Peak Matterhorn should be fine for most general purpose uses, and might be more convenient since it can be carried on a keychain.

I'm waiting to see what others think about the Fenix L0P. My personal preference is for twisties rather than clickies, and if the L0P is even half as bright as the L1P I think I'm going to have to get one.

For minor procedures in the ER, a Princeton Tec EOS works surprisingly well to supplement one of those crappy pedestal-mounted procedure lights.

Yooper

Enlightened
Hooked_On_Photon's response pretty much says it all. Very cool that you're using it to read films in a pinch. There are MANY times I remember from my wards days when a headlight would have been sweet.

photo, I carry the L1P on my belt in its holster all time, at work or at play, and I don't even notice it's there, nor does anyone else - it's extremely unobtrusive and lightweight. If this doctor wears a white coat (I do not) it might be more convenient for him to have a pocket light with a clip to clip into his chest pocket. I've heard that a MiniMag AA clip will fit. An L2P with a clip I think would be an ideal white coat light.

My L1P is no brighter then the halogen Fenhoff transilluminator that most ophthalmologists use. A pupil exam is done in seconds and the patient never gets a chance to fixate on the light, so they don't complain.

ICUDoc

Enlightened
photo2000a

It's a nice gift idea. I second the suggestion for the Peak Matterhorn. I have one and the nice colour rendition of the Snow LEDs, the good overall output and the small form factor make it useful to me on rounds. You wouldn't believe the crap small lights available even in an Intensive Care Unit- even my Photon Freedom Max is a big step up on the alkaline-incan-lanterns that are usually all that's available.
I have found, though, that a U-bin, 1000mA PR-modified Longbow Micra is just a teensy bit of overkill for testing pupillary response....

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't read the whole thread so this might have been mentioned before, but at some hospitals(in this case my brothers), they aren't allowed to use LEDlights accordingly to the fact that you cant see as much details compared to a regular light.