New EDC, ENC, SDC & WDC definitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tron3

Banned
Started this new thread to help clear up the confusion of the old one. To the moderators, if we don't have a glossary page for the newbies, we need one. We are only adding 3 little terms. The underlined portion gives the basic definition. Help me modify the definition if you like, but let's try to stay focused. Don't make me start another poll. :sssh:

EDC - Every Day Carry. The flashlight you carry everyday. Probably something you feel is all purpose and covers you in most circumstances. Typically small and bright for flashaholics. QIII's and Fenix's are 2 popular choices. Keychain type and minimags also fit the bill for people wanting something "just in case." Implies a favorite light chosen by the user for daily use. EDC is also the general term to express all other types of EDC's.

ENC - Every Night Carry. Sometimes used by members to describe lights they carry only at night. Typically for outdoor use as these people may live in rural areas with few to no lights along streets and roadways. Tend to be larger in size and use larger batteries. If you simply carry your EDC into the night, it is still your EDC light, not your ENC. ENC specifically implies a light only for night use, and not day. More rare, but still practiced.

SDC- "Sunday & Dress Carry, or simply Sunday Carry" Implies a specific light different from the EDC for formal events where dress is required. Such as office work, weddings, parties, formal events, etc." (Specifically coined for the Fenix L1P.) Usually small, but sleekness is key. The larger Inova models may fit well due to the narrow sleek design, and chrome tips for "Class A" uniform dress. Some EDC's often double as SDC's and vice versa. -TRON3

Ex: I wear a Fenix L1P when I work in the office in business casual. On dress down day, or days off, I am wearing sneakers, jeans, and shirt, and switch to my regular EDC, the QIII. It's really a personal choice but SDC is a term indicating the wearing of something for specific occasions. Like jewlery you only wear for weddings to help keep it new for dress.

WDC - "I use my Fenix L1P as a WDC (Work Day Carry) because it's small and bright enough to be used behind computers and it is small enough to be carried on the belt without being overly conspicuious and gaudy." -Diggdug13

WDC usually is a required light for work and supplied by the employer. It may not be the EDC of choice by the user, but is still carried every day on the job, thus becoming a type of EDC. They can range from a doctors pen light, to a police light, to a helmet light worn by underground workers. -Tron3

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitions MAC and CNC

for the noobs, let's add

MAC - " Moronic Acronym Creation "

and

CNC - " Camoflaged Non-Contribution "; - this might require some explanation. Camoflaged Non Contribution is any effort or act that appears to add something of value to an effort , group, science or art but in reality adds nothing or perhaps even detracts from such effort, group, science or art. A good example might be the donation of a home or property to a church but the property is actually toxically polluted. The fact that this is already used to refer to a type of machining should further justify its widespread use as an acronym with the power to confuse.

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
Re: Definitions MAC and CNC

xochi said:
for the noobs, let's add

Tron3, you really should get in touch with Aten Imago, you guys would be like two peas in a pod.

Noobs? Now I know that means newbie, but sounds like you just became your own definition.
:lolsign:

My definitions are clear, concise and meaningful. Since they are already in use by many members, they are here to stay and you can't stop it.

ENC will probably become the "lost" term due to rarity. Thus leaving us only 3 acronyms... big deal...I'm sure your brain can wrap around that.

Last edited:

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast

xochi said:
for the noobs, let's add

MAC - " Moronic Acronym Creation "

and

CNC - " Camoflaged Non-Contribution "; - this might require some explanation. Camoflaged Non Contribution is any effort or act that appears to add something of value to an effort , group, science or art but in reality adds nothing or perhaps even detracts from such effort, group, science or art. A good example might be the donation of a home or property to a church but the property is actually toxically polluted. The fact that this is already used to refer to a type of machining should further justify its widespread use as an acronym with the power to confuse.

Tron3, you really should get in touch with Aten Imago, you guys would be like two peas in a pod.

I personally feel that this attack on Tron is completely uncalled for and unacceptable and hints at trolling.

Doug

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

tron3 said:
Noobs? Now I know that means newbie, but sounds like you just became your own definition.
:lolsign:

My definitions are clear, concise and meaningful. Since they are already in use by many members, they are here to stay and you can't stop it.

ENC will probably become the "lost" term due to rarity. Thus leaving us only 3 acronyms... big deal...I'm sure your brain can wrap around that.

Here ya go Oh genius creative one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

diggdug13 said:
I personally feel that this attack on Tron is completely uncalled for and unacceptable and hints at trolling.

Doug

Sorry Doug. I certainly am not trolling. I am using sarcasm to express my distaste for Tron3 act of using the creation of some acronyms (which will more than likely just increase confusion and search requests on the server ) to boost his own reputation for no good end. I consider what he is so proud of to be objectionable and literally a Camoflaged Non Contribution. I have no objections to Tron as an individual but find his push for recognition here to be distasteful. I do not delight in conflict but feel that sarcasm and expressed disdain are justified in this situation.

If the moderators here feel that this serves no good purpose then I'm sure they will lock the threads.

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tron3 , Please accept my apologies for the comparison with Aten Imago as I think that was just a petty jab on my part.

As for S&DC , If you really want to see your acronyms in common usage it would be considerate to come up with acronyms that don't alienate members. I'm certain you are proud of your heritage and may believe that objections to referencing religious beliefs in your acronyms are unfounded, the reality is that CPF trully is an extremely diverse community with a global membership representing a wide variety of religious beliefs. Just imagine how awkward a seventh day adventist would feel in refering to his Sunday & Dress Carry flashlight.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote is for less use of acronyms.

Communication is difficult enough between people who have different understandings and backgrounds (which are generally unknown to one another). It is bad enough when people inadvertently talk about light models line M6 -- is that Pelican M6, or SureFire M6. But then those ambiguous descriptions get abbreviated further to, for example, PM6. That gan get really confusing.

New members are almost universally welcomed, and outreach to would-be flashaholics is encouraged. Yet, when a new member comes to the board, they frequently want to know what even the ubiquitous "EDC" means. I don't see how increased use of acronyms helps that situation.

Nevertheless, acronyms do become the norm. But they develop to abbreviate common, tedious phrases: "every day carry," "in my opinion," "your mileage may vary," etc. The phrase comes first, and the acronym comes after on its own. In fact, I suspect that the acronyms that have developed could not have been stopped even by a concerted effort.

So why try to promote new acronyms that derive from unfamiliar phrases? It obfuscates the language and is unlikely to take hold in the first place.

Scott

tron3

Banned
xochi said:
Tron3 , Please accept my apologies for the comparison with Aten Imago as I think that was just a petty jab on my part.

As for S&DC , If you really want to see your acronyms in common usage it would be considerate to come up with acronyms that don't alienate members. I'm certain you are proud of your heritage and may believe that objections to referencing religious beliefs in your acronyms are unfounded, the reality is that CPF trully is an extremely diverse community with a global membership representing a wide variety of religious beliefs. Just imagine how awkward a seventh day adventist would feel in refering to his Sunday & Dress Carry flashlight.

I see your point. But many here have already adopted the SDC terminology. But if you read the EDC definition, you will see it encompasses ALL EDC-type lights.

So the use of the others is completely optional. Again, only if the wearer wishes to emphasize the reason for wear. The SDA (another acronym) could simply say, this is my EDC for dress wear.

Lots of "rich words" in the English language, and the freedom of speech gives me the right to say as I please. It is only PC'ness that creates a social peer pressure to make people stop. Legally, as long as you do not threaten a person, you still can talk like a dirty rotten sheet wearing member of the Klan.

So which is it, "slave" or "endentured servatude"? It's the words that bring out the subtle meaning and turn a bad word into a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.