Another "Which Flashlight for me?" thread

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
OK, I'm about to make the plunge (some of my friends would say folly) of a high quality flashlight purchase. I'm sure there are 50+ posts of this nature on this site already but I want to put my specific needs out there and see what people think.

I primarily want to use this flashlight for home/personal defense. In the home it will be mated (via the rogers/Surefire technique) with my Glock to go check on those things that go bump in the night. Outside of the home it will be carried on my person for those situations where illumination is required. Here are my requirements:

Clip
Lanyard attach point
Incandescent (depth perception is important to my application)
At least 60 Lumens

Right now I'm leaning towards the Surefire C2. Anyone want to affirm/dissuade my choice? I know that the C2 meets all those criteria but I'm wondering if there is anything else out there that I haven't seen yet or if Surefire has another light I should consider. Thanks for your opinions. Matt.

nobody

Newly Enlightened
C2 is a great light. Someone correct me - I don't think lanyard attachment ring comes standard on this light but can be bought afterwards fairly economically. The M2 meets your criteria and uses shock isolated lamp assembly - good if you should ever decide you want to mount the light to a rifle.

Welcome to CPF

mattyg

Newly Enlightened
It's my understanding that the only difference between the M series and the C series is the addition of the shock absortion system. Is that correct?

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are leaning in the right direction, IMO. C2 is a perfect choice and fits all your requirements. Add a Z33 lanyard and you are set. With an SC1 spares carrier and a spare lamp-maybe a P61 you will be ready for any use.

Yes, there are other lights that will fit your needs. None superior. Maybe I am biased because I made the same choice for the same use almost two years ago.

Mark

Forgot my manners-Welcome to CPF.
Yes, M2-M3 have shock isolated bezel. These will work as well, but I don not think the bezel is a big factor unless light is to be mounted on a reasonably high power weapon. Larger diameter and not as convenient for non firearm use.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used the NF-2, but I like that the ring is adjustable. I'd imagine that would come in handy as a different length might be nice. What works for a guy with large hands holding a Para 14/45 might be far from what a guy with smaller hands holding a Kahr might want.

I like the C2 and the M2... for my money, I'd go ahead and pop of the M2. Personally, I just use an LED light. If I have to use a handgun with a flashlight, it will likely be indoors. If I was a security guard or something like that where I was likely to be outdoors, I could see going for an incand, but I think I'd still want a similar LED light as a backup.

CLHC

Flashaholic
My opinion is to "skip" the SF.C2 and go straight for the SureFire M2. Of course that's my personal preference and that I already have the 1st Gen SF.M2 (and latest too) which the current SF.C2 mimics.

Timson

Enlightened
How about the C3...

If you don't mind the extra size, you certainly won't mind the extra output - esp with P91 LA.

Comes with lanyard ring and pocket clip.

I love mine....Just need a KT2 head for it now.

Tim

sleepless

Newly Enlightened
Welcome!

If he goes with the M series, he loses the clip.

What use is this for? Protecting your BBQ? LOL

See you around Matt

CLHC

Flashaholic
sleepless said:
If he goes with the M Series, he loses the clip.

You intend to mean the other SureFire Millennium Series as opposed to the SF.M2? As in SF.M3, SF.M4, and SF.M6 since these do not have clips.