How many CPF'ers are Bent riders?

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never thought to ask...I'm an avid cyclist, mostly road, and would like to know if there's many CPF'ers that are recumbent roadies?

I do my best to try and ride 5000 road miles per calender year. I would like to say that I commute to work but since my employer no longer allows me to take my $3500 bent inside the building, no more work commutes. :awman:

I'm mileage embarrassed for 2005 just over 500, too busy making flashlight parts. :crazy:

Tell your story!

TB

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I began riding recumbent bicycles during the warm weather months 2 years ago. I rode about 600 - 700 miles during each of the past two seasons. My wife has a recumbent, too. Lots of fun and good exercise.

We vacationed in Stevens Point, Wisconsin last summer for the express purpose of visiting the Hostel Shoppe and we rented recumbent bikes at our motel.

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife was converted to recumbents after one ride. She loves the unobstructed view and the relaxed riding position. Me, I just like to go fast!

What are you riding?

TB

cy

Flashaholic
recently converted to recumbents. P-38 Lightning, hopefully soon to be converted to enclosed F-40.

F-40's are aprox. 8-10 mph faster than std bikes. all sorts of long distance speed records set by Lightning F-40's.

p38 5.JPG

p38 f40.JPG

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, it looks to me that the angle you are pedeling at on a recumbant looks hard on your knees, is this true? Also is it hard to go uphill on one of those?

My favorite bike now is my hybrid. Sure I lose a couple mph compared to my road bike but it handles the terrain so much better and the workout is just as good.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How fast are you guys going on your recumbents? I see some people in my area riding on various styles of these. They've always grabbed my attention. Sooner or later, most likely later, I'll have one.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
TranquillityBase said:
What are you riding?

We both ride long wheelbase bents with above seat steering. I ride a RANS Gliss and my wife rides a Burley Jett Creek. I sold an Easy Racer Tour Easy SS and a Trailmate Fun Cycle trike last summer.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few months ago I decided to go for a bike ride, for the first time in about 5 years. Barely went a mile before I found myself laying in the grass, cell phone in hand ready to call 911 if my heart explodes. :sick2: No more exercise for me! :poke:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been riding a fully suspended short wheelbase recumbent since Feb 1999. Mine is a Nils Palm Wind which used the HPVelotechnik Street Machine Classic frame with different components. In the past 7 years I have replaced the drive train, wheels, seat and other things to fit my particular needs. The only stock parts are the frame, handlebars and suspension.

My best year was 2004 although I left the country the last 4 months of it. Rode over 2,600 miles to include the Oklahoma Freewheel (ride across Oklahoma) were I ran into cy. We lit up the night with Mag mods and Arcs and had a good time. cy and his son were on a tandem and gave me good advice on my first cross-state ride.

My bent is set up with what I call "Battle Cruiser Mode" or to handle off-road, on-road, carrying loads and Turkish roads. Kevlar-belted Schwalbe Marathon Slick 35x700C rear tire with a kevlar-belted, 5mm thick "blue belt" anti-puncture belted Schwalbe Marathon Plus 20x1.75 (44x406) front tire, fenders, rack, rack bag and multiple red LED flashers. Added some reflective stripes to my seat and front fork when coupled with an L1P on my helmet... look like a rolling freak show.

Riding in Turkey is very odd, wherever I ride people point... I would get less attention riding a mountian bike naked! My suspension gets a work-out and with the Schwalbe kevlar-belted tires... no flats! Only rode 832 miles since July but 2006 should see that jump to around 1,500 miles (if I don't go playing in deserts this year) Sounds low but it is all stop-and-go for a strong workout.

2006 sees upgrades for the recumbent lighting system. MillerMods L1P for my helmet (R bin running 500mA on NiMH AA) and Andrew Wynn's BAM four Luxeon K2 400+ lumen Mag mod. This should give me the fire power to venture out to more obscure and darker roads. With the pounding the bent takes, LED lighting is the only reliable way to go!

As far as speed goes, it all depends on what type of recumbent you happen to be riding. My battle wagon is not setup to be quick although I can get up to decent cruising speeds, think of the engine...not the vehicle. The best part of bents is riding for very long distances (30 to 100 miles) the position is relaxing so the only thing that will tire you is your legs. Hills are a little different, just gear down and spin the cranks at 90-100 RPM and ride up them. Road racing bikes will generally beat you but not if it was late in the day after riding 50 miles. Yes, the roadies get annoyed when they are passed on a hill by a recumbent...

Knee problems can crop up when a person is new to the different rules of recumbent riding. Since the seat can be used to push against, this can trash your knees if you don't keep the RPMs at 80+ (I personally learned this one!) On a regular bike, the maximum pressure you can apply is your body weight but recumbents can be over half a ton of pressure. I broke my stock Shimano chain three times from excessive "drag racing" or launching in too high a gear and stressing my knees. Another thing is when setting up clipless pedals, move the cleat rearward towards the center of your foot so the ball of your feet is forward of the pedal axle. Sounds wrong but it keeps my knees happy.

Since recumbent riders use higher cranks speeds (80 to 120 RPM) lower gearing is very important. Can't cheat and stand on your pedals on hills so mountain bike components work well. I use a 11-34 9-speed cassette on my 35x700C rear wheel coupled with a 26-42-45 (half-step plus granny) road crank with FSA ISIS mountain bike bottom bracket (axle) with three bearings. That setup works great and I use the 7% jump between the front crank gears to make up the difference between the 12 to 16% difference between the wide ratio rear gears.

Since my bent is from the last century... am I old school?

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX, I love your story, I always wanted to ride cross country, maybe I'll quit my job and do it some day :)

I've been a custom frame builder since 1995, mostly aluminum frame LWB goldrush clones, I'll post a photo once I figure out how to reduce the res. of my photos for imageshack.

I love it! keep this thread going. I wanna read your story.....:)

TB

BryGuy

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't really count, but I ride anyway, and that's got to count for something.

My wife let me get a new bike for my birthday, and I ordered a Trek Madone 5.2. When it came in 3 months (!) later, it was the superlight version. Since it was a mix-up my shop gave it to me for the same price.

I got back into riding a few years ago when I stumbled on the Tour de France on TV. I remembered how much fun it was to ride as a kid and bought a Cannondale. I guess I proved to my wife that this "bike thing" was here to stay (and she was tired of wiping the drool of the keyboard) and let me get a really nice bike.

Huge difference from AL to CF. Much better fit, too. I try to ride at least 20 miles on most days. I'll be doing the Santa Fe Century this year so I'm gearing up for that.

Haven't seen many 'bents around my area though. Then again, don't see many riders at all.

Sweet ride, Tranq!

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE cycling, especially mountainbiking. Once was doing 8-12 hours/week, usually off-road. I used to knock down the Potawatomi in about 51 minutes...and ride it again.

Unfortunately, I have developed some chronic head/neck pain. Ironic, since my specialty is pain control. My problem is a tough one to treat.
I occasionally become a bit depressed that I am unable to engage in one of my great loves.

So...I may need to go recumbent to enjoy cycling again, since the "*** up, head down" position greatly contributes to my pain.
But this year, and part of next year, will result in a lot of $$$ being spent for other things, so I cannot commit yet.

When I am ready, I know the CPF folks will have a ton of great info and suggestions.
Man, I long to get back in the saddle again.

Bob

Last edited: