Titanium ARC AAA please....

Status
Not open for further replies.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Titanium arc AAA with a converter/led that can be upgraded. Sell it for a max of 60 bux and watchem roll out the door....

carrot

Flashaholic
How about one made of tungsten? I'm unaware of all the properties of titanium -- I do know it's corrosion-resistant (kinda an understatement), but not sure what else. Tungsten sounds like it'd be ideal -- it's very hard and strong, one of the heavier elements, which would make for a very solid and expensive feeling light. I once found a pen made of tungsten... its price was way out of my price range but it's supposedly very nice to hold. There should be something about it on this site.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Tungsten? Hmmm...

I suspect its hardness would make it extremely difficult to machine, especially with any precision in the knurling, thus driving up the cost to unacceptable levels. Even with stainless steel, Peak avoids adding knurling to their bodies. I do know that firearm engravers hate working on stainless steel.

Tungsten would "feel good in the hand," but its increased weight would make it problematic for a keychain light -- at least for a big chunk of the target market. For example, you probably don't find many carrying a 3.5 oz. brass Peak McKinley or Kilimanjaro on their keychains.

Another problem with weighty keychain lights is that -- over time -- any increased weight on a keychain with car keys causes damaging wear on the car's delicate ignition-key system. And THEY are expensive to fix.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure about how hard it would acctually be to machine tungsten. Higher end dart sets are made out of tungsten and some of them have very detailed knurling and threading for the shafts and flights. So, machinging may not be that big of a problem. However, tungsten is very heavy and would make the AAA very heavy to carry.

cnw4002

Newly Enlightened
Hey how about a Rainbow Tini Arc AAA, I have a rainbow tini Sog Twitch ll, and a rainbow tini Fischer Bullet Space pen, and a Kershaw Ken Onion Chive in the rainbow tini finish might just as well have the arc to carry with the other things.

paulr

Flashaholic
Tvodrd made at least one tungsten cr2 light, so it can be done, just doesn't seem that attractive other than for its exoticness. I agitated for a while for a sterling silver AAA and Orb finally did something like that (sterling silver Raw) but it uses an exotic battery and has short runtime, making it not so interesting. I have Peak 1aaa lights in brass and stainless and they weigh a ton. I would never carry one on my keychain. I got much less interested in a silver version after discovering this. Titanium might be just sort of tolerable.

Status
Not open for further replies.