Need Advice!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SF E2E with the KL1 head and really love the light but would like a little more side spill, I know that I could get a beamshaper for it but want another light, either a SF or Aleph and it would have to have a low and high...love those McLux two way switches! Thanks a lot! Almost forgot, want it to use two r123.

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about one of those Aleph Series with a larger head for side spill and throw?

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks CHC, which one would you recommend? Just need a little more side spill than the KL1. Again, thanks!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
McLuxIII-PD?

Isn't the KL1 one of the worst for sidespill? I don't own one (but might tonight :) ).

People who have SureFire L1s and use the F04 beamshaper really like it. I use the F04 on my PD sometimes. It makes a very even, floody beam.

Scott

CLHC

Flashaholic
If I remember, I thought Bernie a.k.a. Kiessling had pictures showing the beam characteristics for the Aleph series. That way you can decide what amount of spill you're looking for.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you want to use 2 x Li-Ion tha telliminates the KL4, my first choice for "flood" :D

Aleph heads would need a LE with a DownBoy (DB) driver for 2 x Li-Ion, which is a very good choice with a 2-stage switch as there is no flickering.

Now the choice of the head for beam pattern ... I'll just show the alternatives:

Here is a comparison of the 20mm, 27mm and 38mm Aleph heads vs a IMS17 reflector with a LuxIII ...

rekombiluxIII.jpg

... where you see that the 27mm Aleph1 gives a huge corona which is relatively dim and has a needle-like spot with a very good throw. A classic that is comparable to the beam of a Gladius, LH, Pelican M6, ...

The Aleph2 has the same beam as the McLuxIII-PD with a big spot that blends smoothly in the corona. The corona is tight and bright and much more useful than the Aleph1's corona, but it is smaller in diameter.

I guess the 38mm Aleph3 is too big for your taste.

Something special is the Aleph19 head ... which gives an almost pure concentrated flood with only the hint of a hotspot:

McR-19LuxIII.jpg

Here it is plotted vs a McR-20 (Aleph2):

McR-19vsMcR-20.jpg

Overall ... the Aleph2 (20mm) is the best compromise, but your needs might be different.

Here are the heads pictured:

Alephheads.jpg

The big Aleph3 throw king head :devil:

Aleph3NAT.jpg

Aleph 1 and Aleph 2 heads on Aleph bodies:

Aleph027.jpg

bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Some outdoor shots that unfortunately do not share the same LED and drive current, so they can only roughly represent the beam patterns:

Aleph1 TW0K 1000mA
OutdoorAleph11000mATW0K.jpg

Aleph3 TY0J 750mA
OutdoorAleph3750mATY0Y.jpg

McLuxIII-PD (=Aleph2) UX1K 550mA
OutdoorMcLuxIII-PD.jpg

SF L4
OutdoorL4.jpg

bernie

EDIT: CHC :wave: