Anybody know a good forum for fixing stereo equipment?

InfidelCastro

Banned
I have some old stereo equipment, particularly an old receiver that I think has a leaky capacitor or maybe a bad amp on the left side because it cuts out at low volume. I've tried the usual tricks, cleaned the different volume pots ect.

Anybody know some good forums for stereo equipment? Especially fixing it? I can do soldering and semi-competently read schematics. Thanks.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the protection relay while you're at it. Most older receivers have them go bad. One or both channels will drop out unless you crank it, or whack it, etc.

MrTwoTone

Newly Enlightened
PM me the make and model.I may have the service manual.Do check the speaker relay contacts-Fisher in particular had a lot of problems with them,causing the problem you are now having.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Thanks for the suggestions so far. It's a Marantz 2238B.

I MAY have a service manual for it, but I'll have to look. I'm pretty sure I don't have the service manual for this one.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Some great links for sure...thanks!

Anyone ever refoam a subwoofer? I read a little in one of of the links about it, looking for personal experience.

I've got a set of Boston Acoustic Series II A40s and they need new foam for sure! They're great speakers for their size, I hate to trash them.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same receiver with the same problem, mine is isolated to one side..
Great links!
I also have a Beomaster that lost an indicator light, incredibly difficult job..

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Abtomat is right - first thing to check is the contacts in the speaker relay. Take off the plastic cover if necessary, wipe contacts with Caig Deoxit on a sliver of cardboard or something. Next check any speaker selector switch.

I've done one woofer refoam job. It wasn't too hard, but a lot of handiwork. The most work is removing all old foam. Then being very careful installing new foam. Lots of work, but potentially cheaper than having a shop do it. Even easier is just buying a new woofer from a place like Madisound. Most home speakers won't be too bad with a generic replacement if pretty close in parameters.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
2238B, that's a 1978 model year Marantz product with 35-45 watts per channel if I recall correctly.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Pydpiper said:
I have the same receiver with the same problem, mine is isolated to one side..
Great links!
I also have a Beomaster that lost an indicator light, incredibly difficult job..

I've had another Marantz 2238B that also had the same problem. It was the left side on the other one as well. I'd try taking off the volume knob and spraying some tuner cleaner into the post before going further and working it in. I got some stuff from Radio Shack a few years ago, maybe six or more years ago (I assume it's still sold though) that works wonders with scratchy volume controls. Dust and dirt works their way into them. This will fix many.

Both of the problem receivers were bought off of Ebay from sellers with good records with of course no mention of the problem. Strangly my original 2238B amp has never exhibited this problem and I've run it pretty hard over the years.

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
LumenHound said:
2238B, that's a 1978 model year Marantz product with 35-45 watts per channel if I recall correctly.

Yes, that's correct. 38W actually. You get big sound out of them though. They seem to have rated them differently back then. I guess they have more tolerance for distortion now.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a 2238B, and I've had ongoing trouble with the relay.

Also have a 2600!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

InfidelCastro

Banned
ABTOMAT said:
I also have a 2238B, and I've had ongoing trouble with the relay.

Also have a 2600!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

It's interesting that my original one has never had this problem, while these other two have. I'll have to be sure and check it out.

Latest posts