Green Flashlight?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I want an LED flashlight that emits green light. I was thinking SureFire L1, but I don't know if its beam pattern is too tight. An A2 is a little spendy, but is in the running. I am looking for an actual flashlight, not just a green keychain light.

Any thoughts on what kind of green LED would be good?

Anyone have green beamshots?

Scott

greenLED

Flashaholic
I try to help out people all the time. Is that being a good greenLED? :nana:
:)

Color rendition is very poor with the green, 5mm LED's. Not sure how it is with green Lux's.

carrot

Flashaholic
What for?

From reading other threads, I gather that yellow-green light is better for color rendition than just green. As I have not had any personal experience with any green LEDs aside from greenLED himself ;), I can't really say.

The L1 is supposed to have a very tight beam. This should be correctable with a F04 beamshaper, although I have not seen beamshots with an F04.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
Hi Guys,

I want an LED flashlight that emits green light. I was thinking SureFire L1, but I don't know if its beam pattern is too tight. An A2 is a little spendy, but is in the running. I am looking for an actual flashlight, not just a green keychain light.

Any thoughts on what kind of green LED would be good?

Anyone have green beamshots?

Scott

Just give me another week, and I can make you a flashlight with a 51+ lumen green Luxeon1 led in it. :)
I ordered some of these a few days ago.
What size light do you want and what kind of batteries would you like to use in it?

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
carrot said:
What for? . . .

I don't know.

Green is cool though. I am happy with the monochrome properties of a green light, but I do want a reasonably useful beam. This is more of an aesthetic acquisition than a practical one.

The Inova is a really nifty light, but the spot beam makes it less desireable than the others. The A2 is probably the most useful, since I would have the incan there if I needed color rendition or a more powerful beam. The SureFire L1 might work too, especially with the F04.

Does anyone know how the green L1 on low compares to the green A2?

Scott

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro

Doh! I forgot all about the Inova X5.

Yes, it is true that green (actually cyan) gives the highest visibility. I have a cyan Aleph III that I was just messing around with a few minutes ago. I was shining it out the window into the field in from of my house while looking through binoculars. I could easily see the rows of cut-off grain at 500-600 yards with a ~70 lumen light.

Scott

InfidelCastro

Banned
Well, I sure have a heck of a time seeing anything with white or blue. Cyan is blueish, so that doesn't make sense to me.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I was just going to mention the green X5, sounds like what you are looking for! :)

carrot

Flashaholic
InfidelCastro said:
That makes sense, since it's in the middle of our visible spectrum, I don't know if it's really true though.

Some new digital cameras have twice the green sensors as any other color on their CCDs, because humans can see greens a lot better than any other color. So I suppose it has the most visibility, but I'm not sure I'd want to use a green light all the time.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
I don't know.

Green is cool though. I am happy with the monochrome properties of a green light, but I do want a reasonably useful beam. This is more of an aesthetic acquisition than a practical one.

The Inova is a really nifty light, but the spot beam makes it less desireable than the others.
Scott

As an aesthetic acquisition, the spot beam makes it MORE desireable than the others. It really is an awesome little light.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I want it to be green light, but I want to be able to see by it. I will use it for things like going for short walks.

Scott

Otony

Newly Enlightened
I converted a Mini-Mag to green using a TerraLux TLE-5. I was curious about using green while doing some night time trail hiking, as I had read the green info poop from Inova as well. Plus, it would appear that some green LEDs give a higher output than their white counterparts.

I can also report that I have the same LUX conversion in white, so I have compared the two. Nothing sophisticated mind you, no meters or even comparing beam spots on the wall. However, a simple eyeball comparo is more than sufficient to see that the greenie is brighter.

When we use it for night hikes, I also drag along several other lights, but it works well, and I like the green in the woods. Seems a bit more natural somehow. Not for color transmission, but for ambiance.

YMMV.

Otony

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some puke, cat urine green leds in some of my light already.
crackup.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several green lights. An older Lux I cyan in a 3xAAA host with a reflector another forum member built. A Garrity stainless steel penlight with a pretty bright and wide angled green 3mm LED that runs well on 2 alkaline cells. Several Minimag clones with various green or cyan 5mm LEDs. And of course, there are the ever popular Lux IIIs which I've put in Mags and in Sam's Element and Dorcy Metal Gears. They are crazy bright!

Right now, probably my favorite one uses one of the 100ma LEDs from lsdiodes.com I can't believe how bright it is when run even just on 2 alkaline cells. Here are some beamshots. Since then, I've sanded the LED down a bit to help take care of the splotchy beam.

First beamshot is the LSDiodes.com LED on 2 alkaline cells and the second one is a River Rock 2xAAA light and finally a green Lux III in a Sam's Club Element. All at 15 feet. Keep in mind that green doesn't show up as well as some other colors on digital cameras. The first is definately brighter than the River Rock light.

IMG_1851%20THC3%20Green%20on%204.5Va.jpg

IMG_1775%20River%20Rock%202xAAAa.jpg

IMG_1896a%20Lux%20III%20Green.jpg

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. That last one looks a little bright for indoor use?

Scott

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is... intense... to say the least!

Actually, the THC3 lsdiodes thing is plenty bright. It will totally destroy your night vision in about a second. If you can imagine, the THC3 draws 100ma and the MJLED draws 100ma. I absolutely could not believe all that light was coming from a single 5mm LED.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
beezaur said:
Well, I want it to be green light, but I want to be able to see by it. I will use it for things like going for short walks.

Green is probably better for shape recognition than any other color. All other things being the same, a light with a green 5mm LED will be about 70% brighter than a 5mm white. Green is great for walking at night. You will be able to see.

Many LED lights that are called green often have wavelengths of ~525nm. I've been using that color for a long time.

Lately (the last couple years) I've been using more blue/green or turquoise LEDs with wavelwngths of ~495-505nm. To me these seem much brighter than those usually called green. I've read that the blue component in the blue/green LEDs makes them easier to use with color than straight red, green or blue LEDs, but I have not noticed.

I would recommend the blue/green, turquoise if you want a bright light. I have an old ARC AAA in turq that is hideously bright when compared to a white ARC AAA.

Latest posts