Eterna-lurk ended... Beamshots!!

ginaz

Enlightened
hello all.

been a lurker here for quite some time. actually thought about posting sometime ago but i decided to wait till 06, just to have an extra year of lurking under my belt. hey, anything worth doing is worth doing right.

so anyway, i was out in the hills of north-eastern ohio recently and happened to have a few lights with me and a camera so i took some shoots. these are not premium models by any chance but they were what i had. i had a princeton tec attitude, with 3 5mm leds and running on 4 aaa's. i had a princeton tec impact 2, with single 5mm focused with a lens and also running on 4 aaa's. i had a dorcy 1aaa and also happened to have a t1.

i will say that i found the beam of the impact to be very useful to me in navigating the wooded hills and fields at night. it has a similar beam to the brinkman long-life which i carried on several hundred night hikes as an outdoor educator. it had the distinct quality of throwing a circle of light to the area i desired without being visible in the air on the way or anywhere else for that matter. i felt that it was a good compromise and did not destroy my night vision to the degree that the t1 would. the t1's beam seemed to have a "creamy" quality to it. the air was humid but it's beam was visible in the air where the impact's beam was not. the t1 was significantly brighter, farther throwing, whiter, greater output, but i found it to be too much for most of my needs and i felt very conspicuous with it on. in all honesty, i have very very rarely encountered a situation in which the dorcy 1aaa has not been able to meet my needs. human vision is among the best on this earth. with that having been said, let go on to the pics! this is my first posting and i only just opened a photobucket acct so let's cross our fingers here:

i took 3 sets of shots. this first set is from a picnic table to a nearby shed, a distance of about 6 ft. in order they will be, the princeton tec attitude, impact 2, dorcy, and t1. you should have no trouble id-ing them

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Large pic link

for the next set, i left the camera in place and moved the lights to the opposite end of the table, increasing the distance to roughly 16ft. i think the camera shadow and the semi-circular shape gives an interesting aspect to these shots

Large pic link

IMG_0617.jpg

Large pic link

IMG_0619.jpg

then i shot from the end of the table to a shooting tower in the field. this is a distance of roughly 32 ft. i nearly forgot to add that on these shots i used daylight white balance and had to extend the shutter to around 4 seconds.

Large pic link

Large pic link

Large pic link

IMG_0625.jpg

interesting to note the variations in foreground illumination among them, esp the dorcy which seems to underwhelm but is actually a solid performer, holding it's own with the attitude quite well.

that's my story and i'm sticking to it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
You're scrolling off the screen!!!!

Please resize your pictures to 800 pixels or less.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
can we haave a pic of the light, or a link please?

-David

ginaz

Enlightened
sorry for the pics. i thought i was posting links.

the lights were these:
IMG_0626.jpg

atm

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots ginaz! There's nothing like real-world use of lights to find the best for the job.

I can understand from looking at your pics that the T1 would frequently be overkill, but it does also show what a good performer it is. Horses for courses eh... :)

Andrew