I find myself waiting

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is not a light out there that is HA3 and throws far (over 40 on quickbeams chart) off a single cr123 using a reflector under $100 with decent batterylife (over 45min). So I find myself waiting for either Pelican, Fenix, or Pentagonlight to fulfill my requirements. Anyone else waiting for an upcoming light to meet their requirements?

-David

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting for a LED to do what the SureFire M6 does.

Scott

idleprocess

Flashaholic
You're going to be waiting a while, but I suspect you knew that when you posted that challenge...

If you're not insistent on single-source, then you'll find that the average 3x3W magmod will have output similar to the M6 LOLA, but I suspect that's not what you're fishing for.

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
Drop your price requirement and we can talk ... :D

That's just what I was thinking. One of the Aleph combinations could surely nail the technical and performance requirements.

Aleph 1 w/ Nexgen 750 & 1x123A body might fall short on battery life. Dropping down to the Wizard2 520 light engine would extend the battery life, and also gain the advantage of being able to use the head on a 2x123A body with either primary lithiums or a Pila Li-ion cell. If the throw is not enough with 520 mA, use the Aleph 3 reflector. :D

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone has a sig that reads something like 'small, bright, or long runtime, pick 2' and its very true. You could make it 'small, bright, long runtime, or cheap, pick 3' but then cheap is all perspective.

Personally I'm pretty satisfied with the light offerings right now. Having my perfect light for sub 100 dollars is just a pipe dream. Just save up and get a light that does what you want. I've found its a waste to buy 'sub 100 dollar lights' that you think are ok. Just wait for a while and get the good stuff.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope not waiting. Why wait? By the time your requirements are met there will be more, broghter, better flashlights available.
It is like computers, sure you can wait to get one that is less expensive. By the time you get what you want you are left way behind.
Good luck finding what you are looking for Cheapo.
Yaesumofo
cheapo said:
There is not a light out there that is HA3 and throws far (over 40 on quickbeams chart) off a single cr123 using a reflector under $100 with decent batterylife (over 45min). So I find myself waiting for either Pelican, Fenix, or Pentagonlight to fulfill my requirements. Anyone else waiting for an upcoming light to meet their requirements?

-David

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the Amalite you were raving about a while back? It fits all the requirements you listed, just not quite 40(36ish) on the throw chart but I can assure you that the difference is un-noticable in the real world.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Try the Surefire E1L. Best HAIII out there in a 1 X 123.

37 Throw/20 Output on Quickbeam's scale, and the runtime about double's your 45 minutes-to-50% requirement. Plus, I doubt if the human eye can discern the difference between a 37 Throw vs. a 40 Throw.

$98 at BrightGuy, and a bit less if you shop around (OpticHQ? OldGrandpaJack?
BrightFlashlights?)

It's possible that some forthcoming Latest-And-Greatest-Bandwagon-Toy from China could beat the E1L's Throw by a little bit, but it won't touch the little SF for durability.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
TOnkinWarrior, I was very reluctant to recommand the Amalite, but He already has a E1l and from Cheapo's previous posts he made sure we knew that he hated the optics that Surefire uses. I personallly love the E1L, but since he already made it clear that he wanted a reflector, I had to go with something else. And I have a feeling it's the answer he was waiting for in the first place...

Long battery life, reflector, good throw and small size=higher cost, but since he put the cap at 100 bucks the choices inevitable tends to go offshore.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am waiting for SF to come out with a line of regulated incandescents....that probably won't happen for another 99 years though....

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, my 2 cell EDC is a TW0K-modded BOG module in a Vital Gear Body. The normal S-bin BOG Lux III module rated exactly a 40.0 on Doug's scale. I think I have $110 in the Vital Gear body and the modded BOG module. I absolutely LOVE it. Wide hotspot, lots of bright spill beam. I run it on rechargeable 123 cells and get well over an hour of runtime. I think the stock module gets 2 hours from primary 123s so I'd suspect that on a single cell, it would get close to that. I've never run the module on a single cell, but I've read at least two threads that said it worked fine.

IMG_2019a%20manual.jpg

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, though I haven't used any of the Peak Lux lights, the CPF special rated just over 40 on the throw scale.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I think they were talking about rechargeable cells, either the 17500 and a spacer in the 2 cell body or an R123 in the 1 cell body.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo,
We are about 3 to 4 months away from the Luxeon K2 and 60 lumens from 350mA to 100 lumens at 700mA. A strong indicator is Lumileds has dropped the prices of the LuxI and LuxIII in half to make way for the K2. My premium BAM 4 emitter 400 lumen Mag mod will run S bin Luxeon K2's so I am waiting also. With 4 LEDs running at 10 watts, the ability of the K2 to handle twice the heat will ensure that it will stay healthy and keep the photons pumping.
Good things come to those that wait and there is nothing more cheap than waiting.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
270winchester said:
TOnkinWarrior, I was very reluctant to recommand the Amalite, but He already has a E1l and from Cheapo's previous posts he made sure we knew that he hated the optics that Surefire uses. I personallly love the E1L, but since he already made it clear that he wanted a reflector, I had to go with something else. And I have a feeling it's the answer he was waiting for in the first place...

Long battery life, reflector, good throw and small size=higher cost, but since he put the cap at 100 bucks the choices inevitable tends to go offshore.

I dont hate it, in fact I wouldnt mind optic lights for some purposes, but definately not as an EDC. As for the Amilite, it just doesnt do it for me. I am not a fan of the beam quality, and throw-wize, i am just not impressed. As far as output per squared inch, it is great, but just as every CPFer says,
" I need more." Am i getting a little picky...... you bet I am. :)

-David

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
cheapo,
We are about 3 to 4 months away from the Luxeon K2 and 60 lumens from 350mA to 100 lumens at 700mA. A strong indicator is Lumileds has dropped the prices of the LuxI and LuxIII in half to make way for the K2. My premium BAM 4 emitter 400 lumen Mag mod will run S bin Luxeon K2's so I am waiting also. With 4 LEDs running at 10 watts, the ability of the K2 to handle twice the heat will ensure that it will stay healthy and keep the photons pumping.
Good things come to those that wait and there is nothing more cheap than waiting.

See guys, this is why I wait :)

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, to tell you the truth, I am actually looking for a light that uses a single cell and can stay up there with my PM6 3W. Now, I have 3.7v 750ma rechargeables.... does that open any new doors? And as for the peak... I dont like the appearance.

-David