PT Tec-40 3-cell mod.

Tec40

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone, I'm new to posting here but, not to the site. I've learned alot about lights here and was wondering, what the runtime and bulb life is on the PT Tec-40 with the 3 cell mod. I love the Tec-40 with the 3 cell mod. It seems to be as bright as my G2. Also, I was wondering, how many lumens the Tec-40 puts out with this mod.

Tec40

Newly Enlightened
In my first post I should have said the 3 cell bulb mod, thats what I'm needing info on. Sorry.

dim

Enlightened
Others are more familiar with hi-end or "super bulbs", but with my 4AA Dorcy Boss/Sears Craftsman flashlight, I simply use a KPR103 3 Cell bulb available at RadioShack and lots of other places. Yes, it's whiter and brighter with no bulb life issues. As of late, I also use NiMH batts too. I'd guess the set up produces about 45 lumens.

dim

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a nice setup with 4 NiMH batteries. If it looks close to your G2, then it might be close in lumens (we have no way to know really). Most of us measure lights in lux on light meters using the ceiling bounce test. Maybe someone here can do it for you. The bulbs in this setup tend to burn out fairly quickly for me though. :)

Grubbster

Enlightened
I just did this recently with my Tec40 and frosted the bulb. My light has the older smooth reflector and it now puts out a nice white, smooth light. I am running it with NiMh batteries. Not sure what the runtime is.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just used Radio Shack KPR103 bulbs... the normal krypton 3 cell bulbs with by TEC40. It wasn't super throwy, but it put out a lot of light. I sold it to a guy that lived on a lake because he was so impressed that it was radically brighter than his 3D or 4D Mag was.

I ran mine mostly on alkalines and maybe on some 1700 mAh Energizers. I think I tended to get maybe two sets of cells per bulb but I think if you took care to rest the cells and try to get them down to 1.2V before using them, you might get a bit longer. Thing is, you never know when they are going to blow! I would ALWAYS have a backup to a TEC40 with the 3 cell bulb installed.

Tec40

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the info.I may try a 4 cell xenon Mag bulb and see if I get more bulb and cell life. I just hope it's close to the brightness of the 3 cell bulb. Thanks again.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's worth a try, but it's certainly not as bright. I'd guess the Xenon is about 40-45 lumens while the 3 cell bulb on 4 cells is at least 60... It's noticably brighter.

Having said that, for most uses, I'd rather have the Xenon 4 cell for better bulb life. Also, it might throw a tad further. I know that when comparing a 4 cell Xenon bulb on 4 cells in a Mag reflector to a 3 cell krypton bulb on 4 cells in a Mag reflector, the 3 cell bulb is obviously brighter, but it looks to me like the Xenon throws better.