are video games any better?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
back in wolftestoin 3d days this was requierments i cut and paste this
286 Computer (386+ Strongly Recommended)
528k of conventional memory (2Mb total memory recommended)
3 meg of Hard Drive Space (for shareware)
8 meg of Hard Drive Space (for registered)
lol it could be played on a pc with less then 1 meg a ram and only 8 megs of hardrive space lol it was a fun game are games that much fun now?considering some want like 300 times more power then that

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
raggie33 said:
back in wolftestoin 3d days this was requierments i cut and paste this
286 Computer (386+ Strongly Recommended)
528k of conventional memory (2Mb total memory recommended)
3 meg of Hard Drive Space (for shareware)
8 meg of Hard Drive Space (for registered)
lol it could be played on a pc with less then 1 meg a ram and only 8 megs of hardrive space lol it was a fun game are games that much fun now?considering some want like 300 times more power then that

I like playing Farcry, Half Life 2, and Battlefield 2. Yes these take some power, but I think I remember your pc being stout compared to mine.

carrot

Flashaholic
Wolfenstein 3D was fun. But I'm starting to prefer more realistic games like Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, and Ghost Recon (GR2 sucks). I think the newer games are definitely more fun. The graphics add an incredible amount to the experience, in my opinion, as well as the added complexity of the enemy AI.

Arrgh, now I'm wondering if I can find an emulator to play Wolf3D.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still play duke nukem 3d and shadow warrior and doomII. But it's from my Flash USB drive and using windows ports of the games!! Duke3d & SW still rock!

That is until duke nuke forever coems out.. when it does.. hehe.

I need to get quakeII on this computer because the user modifiaction Action Q2 multiplayer is so much fun. I owned when I used to play that!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
just seems ya the video game people are in a thing with the makers of cpus and video caard i think thye can make a good game that dont need so much pc power

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I'm playing F.E.A.R and X3 now I've got 3.2 ghz processor 2 gig ram and an nvidia 6600 256 mb card and I still get glitches on F.E.A.R . The games these days are scarily realistic. I think I need a better graphics card :broke: :popcorn: :whistle:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
I still play duke nukem 3d and shadow warrior and doomII. But it's from my Flash USB drive and using windows ports of the games!! Duke3d & SW still rock!

That is until duke nuke forever coems out.. when it does.. hehe.

I need to get quakeII on this computer because the user modifiaction Action Q2 multiplayer is so much fun. I owned when I used to play that!!

MAN! Is that game ever going to surface from the vapor? I always wanted to play this since the first DN.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
SolarFlare said:
I'm playing F.E.A.R and X3 now I've got 3.2 ghz processor 2 gig ram and an nvidia 6600 256 mb card and I still get glitches on F.E.A.R . The games these days are scarily realistic. I think I need a better graphics card :broke: :popcorn: :whistle:

Yah right! I have a lowly 128mg fx 5200 that barely cuts it.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
CALL OF DUTY ALL THE WAY BABY!!11!!!!1!1!1!

seriously, its the most realistic WW2 game Ive ever played. Simply awesome.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mags said:
CALL OF DUTY ALL THE WAY BABY!!11!!!!1!1!1!

seriously, its the most realistic WW2 game Ive ever played. Simply awesome.

COD is awesome! I forgot about that one.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
my pc is old i have a ati 9800 pro aiw on a amd 64 bit 3000 nforce motherboard nforce 3 1 gig a ram but thats no where what ya need to play fear .yet i can still play quake 2 or quake 3 and have lots a fun .the games that are out today are just insane requireing a pc thats like 1700 to build to play it at good resoltion and framerates

raggie33

*the raggedier*
flashgreenie said:
what is insane is the half a kilowatt power supply you might have to get for today's computer!!! :laughing:
lol 600 watts here...
ok this is from the fears website
Recommended Specifications:

•Pentium(R) 4 3.0 GHz or equivalent processor
•1 GB RAM
•256 MB Radeon(R) 9800 Pro, GeForce(TM) 6600 or equivalent DirectX(R) 9
compliant video card with hardware T&L and pixel shader 2.0 support
•Sound Blaster(R) X-Fi(TM) series sound card

Supported Video Card Chipsets with the latest Driver Version Info:

carrot

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
my pc is old i have a ati 9800 pro aiw on a amd 64 bit 3000 nforce motherboard nforce 3 1 gig a ram but thats no where what ya need to play fear .yet i can still play quake 2 or quake 3 and have lots a fun .the games that are out today are just insane requireing a pc thats like 1700 to build to play it at good resoltion and framerates

wtf.
I don't consider specs like that to be old... just not 'high-end' anymore. That's why I play consoles. Better graphics than you'd get on a PC with the same specs, cheaper, and no upgrade hassles.

Raggie33, it sounds like you've got high enough specs to play FEAR.

My computer (running Gentoo Linux) - AMD XP2100+, 512MB DDR, IBM 120GB 7200RPM 8MB HDD, Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM 8MB HDD, nVidia FX5200 128MB, Sony DVD/CD-RW 52x, all in an SFF 8" tall case.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well its old comapred to some who have 2 7800 gtx video cards in sli 4 150 gig rapture drives in raid and a amd 64 4800 dual core with 2 gigs a cosair xms which is my system id build if i had the money hit lotto or something o also a hdtvv capture card and a bluray drive .this sytem i have now is from watching the frys add and pieaceing it togther over the last year or so gota love frys they have insane sales

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i still cant firgure out to install gentoo .i like gui installs.hect the instrcution for gentoo install was like 10 pages i got to first page and got frustared and gave up lol

carrot

Flashaholic
raggie33 said:
i still cant firgure out to install gentoo .i like gui installs.hect the instrcution for gentoo install was like 10 pages i got to first page and got frustared and gave up lol

Gentoo is a lot of work to install, but I consider it a worthwhile time investment if you like Linux and you're willing to tinker.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
UNBELIEVEABLE!! I grew up with the original Atari Pong, then the 2600, then an Atari 800 with text adventure games, numerous other classic Atari games (Joust, Space Invaders, Star Raiders, Claim Jumper, Frogger, Centipede, etc.). BTW, Star Raiders was my "gateway technology" that hooked me into home computers! (Yeah, I remember investing about $3000 in my first Atari 800 and peripherals!!!)

Hard to believe the graphics I see in today's games and all being played on computers more powerful than the Apollo Lunar Lander in your own home!!!!!

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i was very late into the 2600 but i loved it rick i got it after everyone in the world had it already. that night i played it like 15 hours in a row lol