How do i mod a minimag solitaire?

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I just found a minimag solitaire that i didnt know i had, yay, and want to know how i can mod it and put in an led instead? I never moded a light before so the easier it is the better. And not to expensive.

Thanks for any input

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
liteMANIAC said:
I just found a minimag solitaire that i didnt know i had, yay, and want to know how i can mod it and put in an led instead? I never moded a light before so the easier it is the better. And not to expensive.

Thanks for any input
It would be best to use a 5mm LED if you have never modded a light before. Do a search for solitaire and I am sure you will come up with quite a few hits.

Here is one link.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=102083&highlight=solitaire

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
check the mods section on flashlightreviews.com
A Soli with 3mm LED running of a 12V batt (with resistor) was my first mod (and I think it also was for a lot of people).

VWTim

Enlightened
I have a couple solitaires with 5mm LEDs. You have to drill out the opening in the reflector to 5mm. Then I took an A21/23 cell apart and used 3 of the 1.5V button cells along with a longer spring. Works great.

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I did the same thing, but with a 10mm LED; sticks out the front a little, and you tighten to turn it on instead of off. Runs on three 1.5V button cells.

CLHC

Flashaholic
The link that Nitroz provided is an excellent start to modify the Mini Maglite Solitaire. I would suspect that with a name like LITEMANIAC, you'd be MORE THAN motivated to perform this task. . .Enjoy!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently did a solitaire mod with a LiON cell driving a Nichia CS LED. Part of the info is in the thread already linked down towards the bottom. It was very easy... the hardest and most time consuming part for me was getting the reflector out of the Solitairs in order to open up the hole a bit to allow for the 5mm LED.

I've done a bunch of similar mods using Minimags and minimag clones running a larger LiON cell and a dummy cell but I LOVE having the Solitaire available. 'Frosting' the bulb (actually sanding it down) gives that huge hotspot which is excellent for indoor use though it trades quite a bit of throw in the process.

My cheap little modded Solitaire (about $11 including the LiON cell) is one of my very favorite lights and is likely my very favorite light strictly for indoor use. The mod is worth the time.

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
Hi I've just modded one with a terralux microstar, which will run on a li-ion AAA (when they arrive:laughing: ) the head needed some work to get the module to fit, but it only needed filling down, the original lens was changed for some a bit of LDF lens from a Maxstar 2 kit.

I only used the micro star because it was such a pile of c$£p it a mini mag! and I needed to find a use for it. but it should be reasonably bright and a nice little hand warmer:devil:

Mark