Max throw in small package?

lee_rimar

Newly Enlightened
What light has maximum throw but in a package no larger than a MiniMag?

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
the Aurora throws really good, but its not really bright enough for "my needs" hell the TM800x3 isnt bright nuff for my needs

pr5owner

Newly Enlightened
lee_rimar said:
Oddly, FlashlightReviews.com only shows around 450 throw for the Aurora 2xAA. A standard MiniMag AA on tight focus is nearly twice as bright, at least while the batteries are fresh.

true.. i didnt really check out the specs, that being so, the Inova T3, X0 and X0³ slaughters the minimag

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to sound sexual, but on the size issue, are we talking length or width? The L2P is very impressive and is a bit shorter than the Minimag, but has more volume.

If you don't mind the $80-ish price tag, the rechargeable Streamlight Strion is probably the small light throw champ but it's incandescent. I'd imagine it will have more throw than any light of comparable size or even quite a bit larger. Another Streamlight, the TL-3 incandescent, give lots of throw and runs on 3 123 cells or 2 17500 rechargeable LiON cells. It's longer than the Strion, and has a wider head, but it's cheaper. I just bought a used one for less than $40 shipped.

I recently tested the LEDLogic Striker which has very impressive throw and isn't a whole lot longer than the Minimag, but it's quite a bit bulkier and at a higher price point, the Aleph III has great throw and has a nice trim body, but the head is large and it uses a 38mm reflector.

ginaz

Enlightened
what out-throws the orb raw for it's size? oh, that's right, nothing does...

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens "Little friend" looks interesting regarding small extremely bright flashlights.

GWC3

Newly Enlightened
As others have asked, define no larger than minimag. L2P is shorter, slightly thincker in body but with no head. For that matter, the L1P has more throw than the aurora AA. If its just length, all of the SF E series, nuwai's and others come into play.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
A MiniMag with a good drop-in owns them all. If you can get one, Lambda's MiniPro III with a T or even U bin is incredible.

Sandwich Shoppe sells some well regarded sandwiches, some of which put out A LOT of light.

Add a better reflector to the MiniMag, and your drop-in will out shine 2D mags!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
As already stated, if incandescent is OK, your best throw in a stock commercial Minimag-size light is the Streamlight Strion.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_strion.htm

A less expensive non-rechargeable Minimag-size incandescent with excellent throw is the Pelican M6:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6.htm

If you want LED, by far the best throwing stock commercial light is the Striker-VG. However it's about one inch longer than a Minimag, plus the bezel is larger diameter.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlogic_strikervg.htm

One of the best throwing true Minimag-size stock commercial LED lights is the Pelican M6 3W:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6_2390.htm

Pixel

Newly Enlightened
lee_rimar said:
What light has maximum throw but in a package no larger than a MiniMag?

The green laser pointer. It is small and throws for miles. ;)

lee_rimar

Newly Enlightened
ginaz said:
...orb raw...
Whoa, that's really something! Too bad they couldn't spare a couple of millimetres of case size for a regulator circuit and some O-rings! I'm tempted as is, but if the thing was waterproof and had more than 10-15 minutes of battery life I'd have no excuse not to buy one!

lee_rimar

Newly Enlightened
Re: Max throw in small package? Clarified

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

To those who asked what I meant by "no larger than a MiniMag", basically meant no longer and no wider in any dimension. The idea is it should fit unobtrusively in my pocket. The MiniMag is really the upper limit for that kind of concealed carry.

Luna

Enlightened
lee_rimar said:
Have one, but I need a little more spill than that. Just a little ;)

If you shine it at the right object, you will be treated with more spill than you or your lawyer could ever wish for :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good suggestion Joema... you cant go wrong with Pelican M6 lights.

-David

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
lee_rimar said:
Whoa, that's really something! Too bad they couldn't spare a couple of millimetres of case size for a regulator circuit and some O-rings! I'm tempted as is, but if the thing was waterproof and had more than 10-15 minutes of battery life I'd have no excuse not to buy one!

There is a two stage module available that gives it 8hours of runtime on low.
http://hellzteeth.com/reviews/orb_raw/orb_raw_two_stage.htm

Still doesn't make it waterproof though...:whistle: