Odd Couple?? NexGen w/ MiniPro heatsink (pics)

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a pill I have wanted to create for a while. It looks like a Lambda MiniPro pill.

Well, that's part correct.

It has one twist.

It's a BBNexGen750 installed on a MiniPro heatsink! This config should improve thermal transfer. There is no emitter installed yet beacuse I'm waiting on some TX0H emitters that Fred just got in. :)

Thanks for looking,

Paul

Last edited:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Odd Couple?? (pics)

Got my TX0H emitters from Fred so I got to finish this one last night. Here are some more pics:

TX0H BBNexGen flanked by a CreeUV XLamp MiniPro and a TW0J MiniPro

By itself

With some more friends (sorry for the really bad pic)

Flashlight art (or a dusty floor?)

The BBNexGen750 TX0H drew 1.19A (simple measurement of DMM 10A current setting at tailcap). The MiniProIII drew 1.03A.

I would give the edge on brightness to the BBNexGen750. I didn't take any light measurements yet.

Paul

ddaadd

Enlightened

I think you are on to something with the flashlight art, the image reduced vs. the image full size is intriguing.

What host do you use for the pills ?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

ddaadd, all three hosts are minimags with kroll switches.

The red one has the TX0H NexGen, the blue one has the TW0J MiniPro and the the bare Al one has the Cree XLamp UV MiniPro.

Paul

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened

I contimplated doing something like that myself. Just haven't gotten a rountuit yet. Last year I stuffed a Lambda SMD kit into a 2xAAA mini-mag. Tight squeeze indeed. The heat sink ended up something like the Mini Pro except made of copper disc and brass slug soldered to it. It worked out so well that I often thought about making a similar one for it's bigger brother. The brass and copper combo seemed to sink out a lot of heat as the body of the light sure gets hot in a hurry. Seems that the 2xAAA is just so darned limited in total mass to be effective heat sink. Sure is bright little sucker. I'd guess that the Lux is getting around 500ma. Guess is based on comparison to other lights of that current.

cheers,
zwf

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I finally got around to doing some light measurements.

Using the same modified mag reflector with mineral glass lens I got the following readings:

BBNG750 TX0H Alkaline: 1500 Lux @ 1m
MiniPro TW0J Alkaline: 1350 Lux @ 1m

I also checked out my ArcLS TW0H FLuPIC with an IMS SO17. The FLuPIC was on burst mode. It got 800 Lux @ 1m but the spill and overall output was brighter.

My 2D Maj TX1J VIP830 got 4800 Lux @ 1m.

Although it has been stated numerous times, the moral of the story is: Lux @ 1m only tells a part of the story. Comparing Lux @ 1m figures is really only valid for comparisons between similar lights (like the BBNG/MiniPro numbers above). It can, however, give an indication of throw. Larger reflector generally means a tighter beam with a brighter hotspot.

Paul

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here is a run-time plot. I used two different types of batteries. The Pure Energy batteries were new and the Energizers were old (and abused :) ). I used a fan to cool the Energizer run-time. It made a big difference in light output regulation.

bbng750miniproheatsinktx0h1jk.jpg

Paul

greenLED

Flashaholic

Is the miniPro's sink made out of aluminum? How'd you manage to attach the ground onto it?

It just hit me that this would be a nice heatsink for a LuxV minimag mod... :crazy:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a screw on the underside through a small copper tab which I used as a solder point. The heatsink is aluminum.

Paul

greenLED

Flashaholic
ah, I see
:thinking:
Does the screw come with the minipro package? and is the heatsink pre-drilled and tapped for a certain screw?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hole is not tapped it's just slightly smaller than the screw threads - it's a one way trip so it goes in tight. The screw came from my "collection" of very tiny screws. :)

A screw comes with a MiniPro package, however, this one is just a "cloned" heatsink (I had a buddy make a few).

Paul

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome work. It appears the NG is in full regulation for a full hour. So with the uber low Vf of the LuxIII H, it should be getting it's rated power! I wonder what a 2600ma titanium cell would do on runtime..

That cree UV one is cool too. What reflector/optic are you using with it?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks, Paul! As usual, very nice work, and great advise.

So, do you think this heatsink would be enough for a LuxV? or will I need something beefier, like ViReN's copper hs's?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Isaac, I have some Energizer 2500s (somewhere :thinking: ) I plan on checking out with this pill.

For the CreeUV pill I am currently using a McFlood but I have also used a NX05 for better throw. It is very bright - the MiniPro over-drives the Cree emitter a bit but I don't use it for long durations. I am thinking of making another with a a NexGen400 or 500.

Paul

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a few new NIMHs and performed a few more tests.

I was not overly pleased with the initial performance of the batteries so I ran them a few cycles to condition them. I don't think they are quite there yet but the change has been dramatic.

See for youself, the two longer run-times are after a few charge/drain cycles.

bbng750miniproheatsinktx0h2zg.jpg

Paul

Latest posts