Luxeon PCB's

johnuk

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a spare Luxeon star PCB?

I bought a Luxeon V emitter and didn't realise just how tiny they are until it arrived. Actually, I was suprised how flimsy the legs are considering the amount of current they carry. I've hand soldered things like 0603 resistors / capacitors and microscopic SMD diodes but I don't want to risk soldering directly onto the Luxeon as I've have had the pads ping off SMDs due to wire tension. Most definitly not cool if that component costs as much as a Luxeon V!

I'm also worried about overheating the diode if I try to run it without a star because I want to run it for >~12 hours a day. I have a big heatsink spare, definitly big enough for the Luxeon (It's a bit bigger than my hand), but a star PCB would make mounting it super easy.

McGizmo suggested I ask here. I thought I should ask flashlight users as I've noticed on a couple of modification pages that you sometimes need to pull the emitter from the star to get it to fit into a flashlight's housing.

Best wishes!
John

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
For heat transfer you would be better off using Artic Silver epoxy to glue the Emitter directly to your larger heatsink. You would need this anyway if you wanted to glue the emitter back into the star.

Mac