New Luxeon Price Impact on LED Lights

Price of Luxeon III Flashlight

• paying $300+ for a $3 Luxeon LED light is worth (in general terms)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • paying $200+ for a $3 Luxeon LED light is worth (in general terms)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • paying $100+ for a $3 Luxeon LED light is worth (in general terms)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • paying $50+ for a $3 Luxeon LED light is worth (in general terms)

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • paying $10+ for a $3 Luxeon LED light is worth (in general terms)

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I would like to know your views on the impact of the New Prices for Luxeon I and Luxeon III Star's and Emitters...

How long will it take to bring prices down?

And is it worth to pay upwords of $300 for a $3 Luxeon LED light is worth (in general terms) or would you prefer a $10 Light for a $3 Luxeon LED or Somewhere in between these two extremes.

I request all to take active part in the poll and be as generic as possible.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends more on the quality of the light than the LED. And how much one can afford. Some people can afford an E1L. Other only a MXDL.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cost of a light will drop little or none with lower LED prices. One reason is that the difference in price between what the big guys paid and the new prices will not be nearly as big as what we see on the retail side.
The main reason is that the LED is just a small part of the overall part and construction cost.

greenLED

Flashaholic
...what Mike Painter said. However, hopefully this will bring prices down for the general market/public. I don't expect that kind of drop for more "custom" lights, or one-off's (which in some cases can be over priced due to hype), where most of the cost is not based on high volume production.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
But for us mod happy people it's a win-win situation. I just had to say that. :laughing:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
why should the cost not drop when luxeon's have got cheaper....

the days when we had seen Luxeon 1 Watt upwards of $45 to today's $2.5 to $3....

If the cost does not reduce... what will be the impact on sales of the lights?

tron3

Banned
The cost savings to the consumer will not be equal to the bulb price dropping. They tend to raise the profit margin a little more while still lowering the price. Only competition will bring the end user the price points we love.

No THAT is enlightenment.

Oh, how many flashaholics does it take to change a light bulb?

Five. 1 to post the thread.
1 to research the bulb options
1 to write the review
1 to mod to socket
1 to say, "Why don't we just use our flashlights. That's why we have them!"
:bump:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose it depends on the build of the light, type of driver circuit, functions ( if any)type of optics/reflector used, len glass, plastic or other, Flashlight body design, material metal or plastic, production numbers, popularity, whether
the light is hand made or mass produced

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pol results suggests that majority of people want to buy lights between $10 to $50 Segment and $50 to $100 Segment.

A AAA Light with Luxeon cost between $10 - $50 with a good enough quality is bound to sell in high numbers as compared with a AAA Light with $100+ Price tag.