KL3 Gen 1 or 2 for C3???

watts

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys, im new to the site but pretty much completely hooked already. I have just purchased my 2nd surefire, a c3 and was considering getting a kl3 head. I have read that some people think the newer version does not have enough side spill to be used successfully/easily at close range (compared to the older version), can anyone confirm this or give me there views?? also what kind of range does the kl3 give, both gen 1 and 2??

Thanks, stephen

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi watts! Welcome to CPF!! I can't believe out of 12,000 members, no one is called watts yet :D

Here's a good review :-

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_kl3gen2.htm

Near the top of the page, there's a link to the gen 1 as well. The new KL3 throws about 53m and the old one 22m. Their lumen output is almost the same however. (That kinda makes the KL3 gen 2 much more attractive)

I have a KL3 gen 2... it is true there is virtually no side-spill. However, you can always put a Surefire beamshaper on it (supposedly the F70 or newer FM64 will fit; 1.47" bezel). I have ordered an F70 but have not received it yet :( Once I get it I can confirm if it will fit. One disadvantage is it adds some length and bulk to the light. As it is, the KL3 heads are already noticeably longer than the original bezel.

The KL3 gen 2 is a nice mid-range "spotter". Very nice, collimated beam. I like it a lot!

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Sigman!

Got it from LPS Tactical... it should have been here earlier but there were some hiccups in the correspondence. But I believe it is now either on the way to my place or to my bro's place in NY where it will be fwded to me.

I will let you know if it fits when it comes :D

my name is fake

Enlightened
I should be getting my FM64 + KL3 head today or tomorrow from OpticsHQ, so i can give you a review on the sidespill issue plus the fit of the FM64 over the KL3 ..

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The FM64 is another good candidate, although I avoided that because it looked so much bulkier than the F70! (And its not black right?)

I am using a custom beamshaper now (just a simple sanded plastic lens in a plastic pipe) that fits over quite nice and snug and the spill is really almost 180 deg. I believe the beamshaper should be similar.

But the KL3 puts out only about 25-30 lumens, and once its killer throw beam is diffused, its not very impressive for its output. An L1P prob looks better in this case.

But at least the versatility is there at the flick of a cap to regain 50 odd meters worth of throw :D

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread prompted me to pull my 6P with a KL3 Head in it.
When I look at this flashlight all I can say is WOW. The business end of this head is a massive chunk of GLASS. It is a beautiful LENS. SureFire has a lot invested in this cool new technology. The KL3 design has certainly come about as result of the DARPA research they have been doing.
You really can't go wrong with one of these babies. This is a tremendous value at under $60.00. Look at it this way. If you buy 3 P61 lamp assemblies that is the cost of one of these and the KL3 is going to last a whole lot longer.

If you want a light with THROW get yourself a NEW (GEN 2) KL3 for your C3. The KL3 is a beautiful peice do not hesitate one second. You can't go wrong.
Yaesumofo

watts said:
Hi Guys, im new to the site but pretty much completely hooked already. I have just purchased my 2nd surefire, a c3 and was considering getting a kl3 head. I have read that some people think the newer version does not have enough side spill to be used successfully/easily at close range (compared to the older version), can anyone confirm this or give me there views?? also what kind of range does the kl3 give, both gen 1 and 2??

Thanks, stephen

Last edited:

watts

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys think my mind is made up, a gen 2 kl3 it is!! the deciding factor came down to the extra throw of the gen2 and the fact that i could just get a beamshaper if i want more spill, best of both worlds i guess!

FredM

Enlightened
An adapter can have one on a E series body right? Wow it really outperforms the KL1. Is this a matter of the larger optics?

Last edited: