Blue LED or UV

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that UV Led lights will sow up dog urine stains and other fluids, but I have also heard that blue Led lights will do the same thing plus show up blood for deer tracking very well. Would a blue inova X5 be as good as ultraviolet led lights for both purposes? I am going to buy something to detect dog stains on the carpet, and would prefer to buy the Inova X5 if it is just as good, rather than a one purpose UV light. But not if it is not as good.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You'll need both blue and UV to do what you ask.

****, sperm, sweat (urine, semen, perspiration), and other bodily fluids (both human and animal) will fluoresce under UVA radiation; blood will show up as black under blue radiation - it will not fluoresce or glow like some might say - not even under UVA radiation.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
Exactly, blood will show up black under Blue, and not "glow in the dark" under UV, as I have seen advertised on some websites.

Some hunters find looking for black blood difficult under blue light. If you would rather the blood to flash back at you RED, then you can check out our BloodTracker flashlight :)

Piers

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about blacklights? Are they as or more effective than UV lights for showing bodily fluids? Do blacklights show blood?
Thanks.

Macaw

Enlightened
Blacklights are UV lights. They have little or no spillover light into the visible spectrum. Blood will not fluoresce under these lights either.

Last edited:

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a royal blue LUX III light, I have found if you use LASER viewing googles (like the ones that come with some LASER levels to help see the beam), urine stains (in hotels) show up quite well. a little too well if you ask me...:green: :sick: :toilet: