Most efficient driver for LuxIII and primary lithium?

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is currently the most efficient regulated variable-brightness driver for a LuxIII and one primary litium (3V) or one rechargeable 123 (4.1-3.6V) battery.

I think we might (tests pending) come up with a driver for the GatLight that will be very competitive in terms of efficiency. I would like to know what the most efficient driver is for LuxIII (or K2) and one lithium cell so we can see where our driver falls in.

Last edited:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only constant brightness is required. I think Arcmania's SCIII buck/boost converter claims 95%+ efficiency but I don't think he sells them separately. If you have a KI-LE and you're willing to take it apart, you could test it yourself to verify the figures.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am only aware of ONE board like this - from the shoppe. Buck / Boost appears to be a real pain. For reasons that are not clear to me, the chip makers just don't offer packages which will take in the right voltage range to make this work. In the case of Wayne's board, there is a current draw limit which helps it stay within the voltage range, IIRC.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talk to Georges80 about his upcoming BBFlex. The switcher IC is fed by a microcontroller.

It has a buck/boost IC (IIRC LTC3442 - I believe from the same family as the chip Wayne uses in the Wizard2) from Linear.

These are quite efficient - in the order of 90%. Of course, the actual efficiency will vary over input voltage range, load current and the chosen switcher frequency.

Paul

Last edited:

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that the efficiency is partly limited by the size of the board. George's boards are a bit big for most of our mods.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Talk to George about the circuit used in MR Bulk's Chameleon. I think after Chameleon runs are ended they weill be availbable.

Bill

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mobile1 said:
My guess was that George's drivers are probably the most efficient ones....
I think they have been quoted as around the same efficiency.

Billson said:
I've heard that the efficiency is partly limited by the size of the board. George's boards are a bit big for most of our mods.
The board size is a contibuting factor in inductor selection. A smaller inductor usually means higher frequency and higher switching losses.

Bullzeyebill said:
Talk to George about the circuit used in MR Bulk's Chameleon. I think after Chameleon runs are ended they weill be availbable.
I believe that is the same as the BBFlex.

Latest posts