"Police" 12 Led Flashlight from Japan

lukevsdarth

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have same trouble with 12 Led Flashlight on burnout. I bought some led flashlights from Japan. I turned around and sold a few. A few leds burned out on mine. This pissed me off. It had awesome lumens about 65 lms and great kelvin color. It runs on CR123a.

Fred:drunk:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A lot of cheaper LED lights either direct overdrive or underdrive LEDs to the point of either frying LEDs or being dim for a long time. I typically do not mind slight overdrive perhaps 25-30 ma but when you get to 40 ma you will have problems with parallel wired 5mm LED arrays as most will get 40 or less and a few will have a lower Vf resulting inf 50+ ma drive current which all but perhaps the nichias cannot tolerate for long periods.
I had an 8LED 3AAA light that was direct drive and using nimh was a mistake as it fried half the LEDs slowly one by one, I replaced 3 of them before deciding to put 8 26,000mcd LEDs and a dropping resistor inline and now it runs twice as long and is even brighter.

Safety1st

Enlightened
I bought one a few months back...

It worked for a few days..and they stopped....

It worked sporadically...ie: it woudn't work...I tapped it..and it worked again..etc etc..

It's in a drawer now..and I don't intend to be getting it out soon.