wow @ new version Inova Radiant AA and C series

L.E.D.

Enlightened
I picked up these 2 lights at Target. About the old Radiant version, you can tell the donut reflectors obviously because if you look into the reflector straight on, you can see a hole in the reflection of the Luxeon's phosphor. I checked the reflectors before I bought them and there was no appearance of a hole. Took them home and tried them. Impressive. Perfect beam with a tight, bright, circular hotspot and wide spillbeam. The C model has even more throw and total brightness than the AA, but not much more really. C model's tint is very white leaning slightly to blue, bought two of the AA models, both exhibit similar beams but one is a pure daylight white and one has a nitpickingly small tinge of violet. Total output of both AA's seems to be exactly the same, and similar to the SL JR Lux older model with the JR having a *slight* edge. Heatsink design is VERY nice, combination of metal to air contact heatsink, and light polycarbonate body should make for decent durability and great longevity ;) . Pretty good light for the money IMO.

Last edited:

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one of the Radiant "C" models and I was very impressed with it also. Nice throw and beam pattern. The only problem I had with mine was that the batteries rattled around in the body. I solved it by cutting a long piece of the clear, plastic packaging it came in and sliding it inside next to the batteries. Very nice light, highly recommended!

L.E.D.

Enlightened
My friend unfortunately got one of the older Radiants, there's a very disappointing oblong donut -ish hole in his beam.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the AA units at Target when they first came out and I was totally disapointed.
A friend gave me one for christmas and the beam is perfect with a nice white tint free color.
Not bad. Much improved.
Yaeumofo

L.E.D. said:
I picked up these 2 lights at Target. About the old Radiant version, you can tell the donut reflectors obviously because if you look into the reflector straight on, you can see a hole in the reflection of the Luxeon's phosphor. I checked the reflectors before I bought them and there was no appearance of a hole. Took them home and tried them. Impressive. Perfect beam with a tight, bright, circular hotspot and wide spillbeam. The C model has even more throw and total brightness than the AA, but not much more really. C model's tint is very white leaning slightly to blue, bought two of the AA models, both exhibit similar beams but one is a pure daylight white and one has a nitpickingly small tinge of violet. Total output of both AA's seems to be exactly the same, and similar to the SL JR Lux older model with the JR having a *slight* edge. Heatsink design is VERY nice, combination of metal to air contact heatsink, and light polycarbonate body should make for decent durability and great longevity ;) . Pretty good light for the money IMO.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my new Radian-AA on the with to Dallas during the holidays. This is one is the newest as there is no hole in the beam. Since all of my other units are metal, the feel takes some getting use to.

The beam has a nice white spot with good corona and respectable throw. The reason for the purchase is that I rely to much on CR123 that a may not be able to find in a pinch. This one stays in the glove box, I might get the C model later.

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my new Radian-AA on the with to Dallas during the holidays. This is one is the newest as there is no hole in the beam. Since all of my other units are metal, the feel takes some getting use to.

The beam has a nice white spot with good corona and respectable throw. The reason for the purchase is that I rely to much on CR123 that a may not be able to find in a pinch. This one stays in the glove box, I might get the C model later.

chiphead

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Skyclad01, you can tell the old version from the new version even when it's in the package at the store. Simply look straight into the reflector. The old version will have a telltale hole in the middle of the reflection of the yellowish phosphor whereas there is no hole in the reflection of the new version. Throw is decent and the beam is perfectly circular with uniform light distribution within that circle. I would not mind a tighter throw but it gets some jobs done. Spillbeam is nice and wide.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went to the Target in Milpitas, and unfortunately their flashlight aisle has a lot of picked-over Christmas merchandise and none of the new style of Inova Radiant. :(

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would you guys compare it to the 2AA Fenix L2p?
Kind of weird that they dont have any info about the Radiant on Inovas own site.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the one on Capitol Ave and McKee (I think that's the cross street.) Their inventory on anything is usually much better than the one in Milpitas.

asdalton said:
I just went to the Target in Milpitas, and unfortunately their flashlight aisle has a lot of picked-over Christmas merchandise and none of the new style of Inova Radiant. :(

jtice

Flashaholic
Havent seen any here either :(

Seem like nice lights from what I am hearing though.

How much were the 2AA ones?

~John

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Lobo said:
How would you guys compare it to the 2AA Fenix L2p?
Kind of weird that they dont have any info about the Radiant on Inovas own site.

Yeah was wondering about the same thing too. How does it compare to the L2P?

I guess the radiant is not really the torchlight that Inova is trying to push.

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
Of course they're trying to push it. They have em right next to X5's and microlights at Target. It just seems that they are notoriously slow at updating thier website. Maybe all the engineers are too busy designing new lights to bother with the webpage

bee-man

Newly Enlightened
Bump for some comparisons... :bumpit:

I have a radiant 2AA and have been wondering how much better the L1P or L2P really is. :)

igabo

Enlightened
bee-man said:
Bump for some comparisons... :bumpit:

I have a radiant 2AA and have been wondering how much better the L1P or L2P really is. :)

I second that.. I'd like to find out also. :popcorn: Got a $30 Target gift card; left wondering if I should use it.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
The L2p has greater throw and total output, and much less runtime. The radiant has a more 'perfect' hotspot though, it's also not too tight, it's more of a flot or spud (flood-spot or spot-flood lol) though, rather than the almost laserish one of the SL ProPoly 4AA Lux. The Radiant AA's 20 bucks a pop and the Radiant C at 30 a pop.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I already had one of the "C" Radiant's and just picked up both the "AA" and "AAA" versions. Nice lights all but out of the three, I'm most impressed with the "AA" model. Can't go wrong with any of these though.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
-Heatsink and vents just a gimmick?!?!?-

I've taken mine (Radiant AA) apart just now, you pull the rubberized black plastic retainer off the front by lifting one corner up then pulling it off, then the front edge of the reflector assembly and metal body tube is exposed. Pull the edge out and the whole assembly comes out. Unscrew the reflector to expose the Lambertian Luxeon Star module / PCB. Looking at it, it looks like there's almost no thermal path to all that metal in the body tube and stuff!!! it sits on a little PCB and sure, it's surrounded by the metal reflector, but it sits in the middle of the PCB with seemingly no thermal path! Anyone else with this light and more knowledge regarding thermal issues please disassemble yours and look at it and post your thoughts here... this is a bit disturbing lol :-( .