Glo-Toob case modifying?

bruner

Enlightened
Has anyone modified the "outer shell" of a Glo-Toob?

The goal here would be to get the thing to emit more light.

I've had two thoughts:

- frosting it with maybe sand paper.

- (if I had a lathe), cutting some grooves along the length of the body.

After looking around the forum, I think I've heard talk of someone bead blasting theirs.

Any ideas, pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would imagine any kind of sanding/bead blasting would diffuse the light more. The tube itself may appear "brighter" since it would illuminate the sanded surface, but the over all "throw" of the flood would, imo, be lesser. What about lathing it down and then polishing the remaining plastic? I can't imagine it would do that much but hey maybe.

bruner

Enlightened
Stillphoto,

I agree with you about lesser throw. As for lathing it and polishing it, I think it would look pretty much like it does now.

My thoughts on lathing grooves into the body are based on a teen-age thing I did with some 1/4" thick plexiglass I had covering my workbench/drafting table. What I did back then was to drill holes along the back edge of the plexi and install some small red LED's that ran off of a 9v switch box on the side of the desk. When I turned it on, the whole outer edge of the plexi glowed red. I also noticed that all the scratches on the surface of the desk "light" up.

If I had a lathe, I would like to cut some 1/16" wide x 1/32" deep grooves, spaced about 1/8" appart along the whole lenght of the glo-toob. Unfortunately, I have no lathe.

Has anyone, would anyone (with a lathe) care to sacrifice their glo-toob with some grooves to see what it would look like?

Thanks,
Dan