Renewable Power Sources For LED

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
My son recently purchased an inexpensive 3 x 5 mm LED light from Lowes that does not use batteries. Instead of batteries, it uses some mechanism to store energy produced by turning a crank for about a minute. The output from this light is greater than my Petzl Tikka +.

I was wondering if anyone has run across some products that might fit the following description:
  1. A waterproof or at the very least water resistant (to ensure proper function after accidental and temporary submersion or continued use in a downpour) handheld light using a non-battery, renewable source of power that wasn't prohibitively heavy or large for use during backpacking trips.
  2. A lighting system that used a belt mounted renewable energy source with adapters to fit into a headlamp. For example a way to use a belt mounted renewable energy source with a Petzl Tikka or Petzl Myo XP by running a cable from the belt mounted energy source to the headlamp. Ideally, the light would be capable of being powered by batteries or the renewable power source.
I am thinking that this would be an excellent solution for extended hiking / backpacking trips.

-Goatee

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a few belt mounted battery pack powered headlamps.... incan/led that can use just about any 6v source as it plugs into the headlamp via a 1/8 inch standard jack.
I have 4AA versions, 3 SLA versions, and a 4D version of the same design.
I think the biggest obstacle to a *renewable* source to power lights is recharging it and having enough power to get more than about 1-5 LEDs lit for just a little while with not excessive problems.

Agent_K

Newly Enlightened
:)> said:
My son recently purchased an inexpensive 3 x 5 mm LED light from Lowes that does not use batteries. Instead of batteries, it uses some mechanism to store energy produced by turning a crank for about a minute. The output from this light is greater than my Petzl Tikka +....

Was it this light?
windup.jpg

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's going to be very hard to beat chemistry.
Here's a generator that would last but weighs a bit more than a handful of batteries...

Note that it puts out 6.3 VDC @2.5A so to charge 4 2500 NiMh batteries you would have to crank it for about an hour (I'm to lazy to do the math.)

I remember playing with one as a kid and it is a good bit of work.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agent_K said:
Was it this light?
windup.jpg

You got it. It is a cheap little bugger but it seems to put out a good amount of renewable, usable light.

My only concerns are the construction of the light for more rugged, outdoor activities. Also the size is bigger than what I would consider optimum.

Picture this type of device, just smaller, made to fit onto a belt and accept some sort of universal wire to power a headlamp or other handheld light.

I would spend good money on such a device.

I haven't checked the link from a previous post that indicated that there might be such an animal in existence yet but I intend to check it next.

-Goatee

Yooper

Enlightened
Solar is an option as well. There are small solar battery chargers as well as larger solar panels designed for this use. A solar panel on top of your backpack would likely charge a set of AA's enough during a day's hike to provide the energy you need for light in the evening.

That popular science link is cool, but no such thing exists, yet, and it's heavy.

If anyone makes a crank battery charger, I would expect it would be Freeplay. They definitely have the best quality crank flashlights.

Last edited: