Gadgets that incorporate a flashlight?

atm

Enlightened
My mobile phone has a built-in LED flashlight (Nokia 5140i). It's not very good but because it's with me much of the time I find it very useful.

I'm wondering if there are other commonly used itmes, where the primary purpose is not to produce light, that have a light built-in?

Gotta love gadgets, even more so if they also have a useful light in 'em.

:candle:

Andrew

Navck

Enlightened
Laptops (IBM/Thinkpad series. Used as keyboard light)
Battery thing for cars (?? Dunno. They have some weird LED array)
Optical mice (Red LED)
Some emergency radios (Incan light usually on windup radio)

my name is fake

Enlightened
i was looking for some small carabiners the other day at a DIY store when i saw a carabiner with a built in LED light.

dont know how useful it is though....

btw, last weekend i went to an outdoor concert and nearby where i was sitting, someone had just dropped their hse?car? keys. so it was dark so they were using one of the nokia's with built in camera and light to find it. i had my C2 with me. I offered to help, everyone seem impressed with the C2 and keys found...:rock:

bobbagum

Newly Enlightened
Most SLR camera has small incan lamp for red-eye reduction, on the body or in the flash assemblies, I always use it for illumination, it does sucks quite a lot of juice though on a camera that uses a sole CR123 as power source
it's very convienient though, I use it all the time to the amazement of my friends.

Some newer camera just strobe their flash for that purpose, so it's less useful as the light from a strobed flash can't be constantly on

A good dedicated flash unit can strobe for upto a couple of seconds though, quite useful, but I guess that doesn't count as flashlight

Does a screen of a PDA/Phone counts? since it's lit by LEDs and in somecase Cold Cathode tube
there's even an app that turns the phone screen white to use as a flashlight, and people actually pays money for this

PhantomZ

Enlightened
oh i have the nokia 5140 (i love nokia phones!!). i love that phone. got it just cause of the flashlight. it was sad that i ended up starting a new plan less then a year after i bought it and got a nokia 6620. if only that had a built in flashlight :(
anyone interested in buying a nokia 5140 with blue shell?? give me a pm.

anyhow, back on topic. i have a tool logic knife that has a small waterproof space to store matches and little stuff. the knife has the option to use the space for a minimag solitar instead. i'm using a Peak 3LED with it. oh ya, the butt of the knife has a built in whistle thats pretty loud!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My Casio watch uses two amber LEDs for a dial light and I also have the little AM/FM/SW radio from CountyComm with the single LED.

Geoff

paulr

Flashaholic
There's some ultra-expensive Swiss Army watch with a flashlight, and some $100-ish Dakota watches with it. I don't know why there aren't cheaper watches with lights. Using the dial light really isn't enough to see where you're going.

Best bet is a keychain light. There's very little excuse not to carry one these days.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a small Swiss Army (Victronix) with a red LED, a cheapie pocketknife with one and a watch that clips on my belt loop with a red LED. I've seen carbiniers with incan or led, mostly the four button cell and very bad threads to connect the works. There is also a floating marine keyfob with an led light and whistle. Tool Logic I think has a Leatherman like gadget with an attached light. Led lights in the base of shot glasses and other drink glasses as well. There are illuminated pens. Then there are all those rotating lighting toys in the candy asile of the market.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an OLD Timex "outdoorsman" model watch. Triggering the backlighting will let you read a damn book but really kills the lifespan. Also...
-Booster Pack/air compressor (for jumpstarting cars) that has a flourescent lantern built in.
-Pair of "mechanics gloves" that have LED's near the fingertips.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a Columbia jacket that incorporated LED's around the hood for night walks, I think it was in Popular Science.
I would enjoy one of those.

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
I have an amateur radio dual-bander Yaesu VX2 which has a emergency mode which turns on a white LED which I can toggle on with one button push. It gives off enough light for close up work. Steve

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
recently i noticed a basball style cap in sears tool(craftsman) section the hat had LED's sticking out of the brim stitched right in (ie no holder)

it had a cool 2 slide um slider switch on the side 2 leds in middle were white two on the far ends of the brim were red pretty cool

a real geek must, women are going to go crazy once i sport this in the downtown clubs

a bit of a long shot but um bmw's actually come w/a small flashlight that is rechargable in a slot in the glove box i really give them props for the idea seems they are the only one that does it like that light is a bit cheesy thou

carrot

Flashaholic
Not quite a flashlight, but awesome anyway -- there's some watch on Thinkgeek (or used to be) that had LEDs instead of hands. It's very cool looking.

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
I have a screwdriver from sears that has an incan in it. Clear handle. Worked well enough when it was working...

Also, I've seen keys that you can by that have an LED built in, so that you can find the door lock. Kind of out of vogue since most key fobs remote open the door now.

I've seen a clipboard that had a built in set of LED's to illuminate the paper.

pilot4x4

Enlightened
The most unusual device I ever saw that incorporated a light into it was a garden spray nozel at Lowes. It was setup so the light (I think it was LED) was in the center of the sprayer and the water sprayed out from a ring of jets around it.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Sony Ericsson K750i that has a camera-light that works great as a flashlight. I has a smooth even flood of white light from 2 leds. Its output is probably as good as some of the 0.5W leds and is enough for most indoor use.
It is also easy to turn on-off without having to access menues..
Tha other functions on the phone are great as well so this is a keeper :)

Sverre

evanlocc

Enlightened
Also on the Motorola E398 that also has a camera-light that works great as a flashlight. But it has to be in camera mode to activate it.

Alternatively, may change the wall paper into any while/bright colored image.

After using it for monthsss, when you get used to the menus' then you find it a bit lag on response.