Surefire U2 or L5?

10mmWiseman

Newly Enlightened
I am hoping to get some feedback from those lucky enough to own both.

I am wanting to go all out for a Surefire LED and I have my choices narrowed down between these two. I like the U2's brightness settings and black HA-III but the L5's shape is conducive with the Roger's technique and I like that as well.

Which do you prefer?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the L5, but have a sufficiently similar surrogate - the C2, upon which the L5's grip is based. I like the Rogers grip even though I have a snowball's chance in Hell of using it in its manufacturer-intended capacity. Still, the C2/L5 is good stuff because the grip is comfortable.

On the other hand the U2 is my dream light - perfect in every way imaginable. Over time I've even learned how to use the clip's retaining collar as a substitute for the C2's grip ring. With a little bit of practice you can still hold it that way although it is not quite as secure as the C2's grip.

The retaining collar is removable, and you may be able to figure out how to mount a bigger rubber ring in its place, too.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have both,

I like the U2 better.
Multiple brightnesses, though you end up only using a couple.
I like the clip better.
The bezel down carry makes it easier to slide you hand in your pocket,
verses the large head of the L5 being in the poket openning.
Typically, the U2s are alittle brighter.
U2s can use 18650 cells.

~John

residue

Newly Enlightened
they're both nice lights. my l5 has no donut and was about half the price of the u2. the replaced u2 is slightly brighter (original version was dimmer) than the l5 and has a slight donut. the led is probably going to be luck of the draw.

if you've got the money and want to "go all out" then get the u2 for the adjustable levels. just consider that you might end up sending it in for service if you lose the lottery. the u2 looks nicer and is a bit better balanced in the hand but may also tend to suffer tailcap problems more often.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think you will find the U2 much more versitale since its adjustable... it also takes 18650s like they are candy... about 1.5hours of runtime on full power...

the U2 is a fantastic light... you can stand it on the tail with a f04 and you have 3 color beam filters if you buy the brinkman...

the runtime is going to own the l5... the l5 is more beafy... the u2 is carriable... a holster is mostlikely the best way of carring it though... i still need to buy a good holster...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well, since we know that the newest L5's (KL5's) can handle up to 9 volts with true regulation, then that is the one to get. Imagine, two 168A's (two 18650's )in Tranquillity Base's upcoming 2X18650 body, and you have a super long running, relatively bright (probably a real 85-100 lumen) light. Or, run it with a 9P and two 150s', or a 6P with A19. Want two level's, get a McGizmo McE2S tailcap and pick the resistor you want for low level.

Bill

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
10mmWiseman said:
...I like the U2's brightness settings and black HA-III but the L5's shape is conducive with the Roger's technique and I like that as well...
I have a U2 but not an L5, however I've had many other LED lights.

Personally I think a multi-level light (even if only two levels) is important. This will vary depending on usage, but in many cases a high-powered single level light is just too bright. You often want to throttle it back, both for battery conservation and to avoid blinding yourself.

E.g, when I walk at night my U2 on low (2 lumens) is usually adequate. It runs 40 hours at that output. I can crank it up if needed. But when I tried full output on the white sidewalk close to me, with dark adapted eyes it nearly blinded me. I saw green spots for several seconds.

The U2 is expensive but IMO it's worth it. However my first U2 had a very bad donut pattern, plus a bad tail switch. Surefire replaced it, but it took five weeks. Yet I'm glad I did -- my new U2 has very little donut, and superb output -- over 100 lumens near as I can tell.

If the U2 is too expensive I'd suggest the L2 or A2. They are both good 2-level lights.

A non-Surefire alternate is the HDS EDC U60 or U85. They are also expensive but worth it. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/hds_edcu60xr.htm

A less expensive variable output light is the Vari-Brite 52L:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/britestuff_vari-brite52l.htm

a99raptors

Enlightened
Get the U2 if you want a solid all around light.

I think the throw is about the same as an L5.

Get the L5 if you want a solid, no fumbling, emergency tactical light. (because you CAN accidentally leave your U2 setting at the lowest. And during emergencies, the less you need to think about, the better.)

Luxman

Enlightened
I don't have the L5 either, But the 6 light levels of the U2 along with greatly extended runtime at low levels will be hard to beat!

magic79

Enlightened
I hate it when someone asks a direct question and someone replies with something different...but here I go.

If the Roger's handgun technique is important to you, I have found that no other flashlight works better than the Gladius. The "wings" nestle between your fingers so nicely that you almost don't know you have it in your weak hand.

Sorry for going "OT". :)