New U2 - 1st Surefire & 1st Impressions

Tremendo

Enlightened
Well I just got my 1st Surefire in, the U2. I'm new to all this, my favorite has been my Fenix L1P, and this U2 is my 1st light over $50 (quite a bit over). I have played with my buddie's E2D and M6. The U2 has 6 intensities.

1) The U2 is smaller that I thought, I was ready for a bigger light, I am pleasantly surprised.
2) Setting 3 is closest to Fenix output, but U2 is noticably yellowish at that setting compared to the whiter looking Fenix. (When I put the U2 on full, the Fenix looks blue comparitively).
3) Setting 5 is closest to Brinkmann MaxFire (2 x CR123 Xenon).
4) I see the "donut" beam, a little darker in the middle.

It's solidly built as expected.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Whoa first purchase into the $200+ range eh? Like they say around here: "Hold on to your wallet!"

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with your new light! I like mine more each day. Let's hope the clickies keep working.

Freedom1955

Enlightened
Get yourself some LG 18650 2400mah's and enjoy guilt free lumens. The U2 running 18650's is an owesome combination.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Thanks guys. I played with it for awhile tonight, it's growing on me. The clicky has a great feel to it, the clip is very functional. I like the ability to adjust the power, although the lower powers look greenish. I mentioned that power 5 is close to the Brinkmann Maxfire, but it maybe between power levels 4 & 5. I need to compare it to some 60-65 lumen Xenon SF's.

For now, I'm sticking with the standard SF batteries for this light. It's not for work or anything, and once the novelty wears off, I imagine a set of batteries will last me a while.

greenLED

Flashaholic
there are a couple of recent threads with impressions of the U2, BTW, in case you want to do some more reading on what people have to say.

Mike abcd

Enlightened
Freedom1955 said:
Get yourself some LG 18650 2400mah's and enjoy guilt free lumens. The U2 running 18650's is an owesome combination.

On a new U2, you'll probably get a plastic insert that you'll have to get out first.

E

Emilion

Enjoy your light, I just got mine repaired........actually they didn't repair mine but send me a new one. My old one is very warm white that I'd better say that's yellow, and the bezel has a very serious damage that removed the HA-III. The new one has a slightly blue tint, and of cos a perfect finish.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, the U2, Surefire's finest LED.

I'm practically married to mine. May yours be just as faithful.. :)

Luna

Enlightened
KevinL said:
Ahh, the U2, Surefire's finest LED.

I'm practically married to mine. May yours be just as faithful.. :)

You, sick, sick man. Just remember this is a lifelong commitment. You can't just trade up to the 'newest' model when you first lay your eyes upon its youthful beauty!

cbxer55

Enlightened
I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. So far nothing bad to report at all. Clickie works flawlessly, light adjuster same. Unlike some of the posts about donuts, mine has a really bright hotspot at center and a somewhat dimmer corona. Reminds me of my M2 or E2e.

I have other expensive SFs, such as the 8X and 9N. This is my first over $200.00. Probably the last for awhile. I see the U2 as being EDC for a long, long time, replacing the M2 as my favorite.

Last edited:

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on a write up of the 3-way shootout I just did.
Surefire U2 (Thanks mysterious U2 passaround donor)
Striker-VG (Thanks Taiji)
Gladius (Thanks Casual Adventure of Arlington, VA)

Will be posting pictures and impressions soon (hopefully before the weekend).

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Congratulations on your U2. A small well machined lithium
powered variable projector of bright white photons with
functional simplicity, magnificent design, a tough
exterior finish and a warranty that is one of the
best in the business.

Can't keep my hand off mine ............................ :twothumbs

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna said:
You, sick, sick man. Just remember this is a lifelong commitment. You can't just trade up to the 'newest' model when you first lay your eyes upon its youthful beauty!

Very little else tempts me these days :D it truly is The One!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tremendo said:
1) The U2 is smaller that I thought, I was ready for a bigger light, I am pleasantly surprised.
I know what you mean. Before getting my first Surefire, I looked at tons of pictures, including comparison ones next to familair lights (Minimags mostly), but it was still a shock to see them in real life, and how small they were. I'm still supprised when I see certain Surefires that I'm not terribly familar with, like E1s and 6Ps.

Leef

Enlightened
Is the U2 brightness adjustment ring supposed to have click stops at each level? Mine doesn't.